This paper presents the design of a broadband circular polarization truncated horn antenna with single feed. It does not require any complex feeding structure and uses only a coaxial feed extended with a simple electric field coupling probe. The corners of the horn are truncated to generate circular polarization modes, and a broad axial ratio bandwidth which is insensitive to the probe feed dimension is achieved. Simulated and measured results of an S band truncated horn antenna are presented. The antenna has a broad 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth of 26% with aperture efficiency of 60%.
2. Ononchimeg, S., G. Otgonbaatar, J.-H. Bang, and B.-C. Ahn, "A new dual-polarized horn antenna excited by a gap-FED square patch," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 21, 129-137, 2011.
3. Dehdasht-Heydari, R., H. R. Hassani, and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "A new 2-18 GHz quad-ridged horn antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 183-195, 2008.
4. Jacobs, B., J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "The effect of manufacturing and assembling tolerances on the performance of double-ridged horn antennas," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 10, 1279-1290, 2010.
5. Fukusako, T. and L. Shafai, "Design of broadband circularly polarized horn antenna using an L-shaped probe," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2006, 3161-3164, 2006.
6. Jeon, K. J., K. J. Lee, T. K. Lee, J. W. Lee, and K. W. Lee, "Circular polarization generating coaxial to waveguide adapter for horn antenna," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference, Antennas and Propagation (EuCap), 2010.
7. Zhang, Z. H., "An integrated coaxial circular polarized OMJ/OMT for dual band application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium 2005, Vol. 2a, 647-650, 2005.
8. Yuan, C. W., Q. X. Liu, H. H. Zhong, B. L. Qian and Z. Q. Li, "Circularly polarized mode-converting antenna," Electronics Lett., Vol. 42, No. 3, Feb. 2006.
9. Jung, Y. B., "Ka-band polarizer structure and its antenna application," Electronics Lett., Vol. 45, No. 18, Aug. 2009.
10. , , , ANSYS inc., High Frequency Structure Simulator..
11. Richards, W. F., Y. T. Lo, and D. D. Harrison, "An improved theory for microstrip antennas and applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 38-46, Jan. 1981.
12. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
13. Ooi, T. S., S. K. A. Rahim, and B. P. Koh, "2.45 GHz and 5.8 GHz compact dual-band circularly polarized patch antenna," Journal f Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1473-1482, 2010.
14. Lo, Y. T., D. Solomon, and W. F. Richards, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, No. 2, 137-145, Mar. 1979.
15. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, Jan. 1981.
16. Levy, R., "The relationship between dual mode cavity cross-coupling and waveguide polarizers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, No. 11, 2614-2620, Nov. 1995.
17. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd edition, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
18. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., 1989.
19. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory - Analysis and Design, 3rd edition, John Wiley and Sons, New Jersey, 2005.