In this paper, the self-complementary principle has been applied to develop the traditional planar monopole antenna into a dipole antenna whose frequency range exceeds UWB requirements. The proposed design has compact, planar, and simple shape arranged in self-complementary manner connected to the (SMA) connector via rectangular microstrip line. The self-complementary structure offers better reduction of the imaginary part of antenna impedance, which allows matching on a wider band of frequencies. The proposed antenna showed -10 dB return loss bandwidth extending from 1.86 GHz up to 17.7 GHz. Moreover, this antenna has a simple shape as compared with complicated and irregular shapes with curves, slots or parasitic elements. The proposed design is validated by experimental measurements. The phase of the return loss is investigated for more insight into antenna matching.
2. Ying, C., G. Li, and Y. Zhang, "An LTCC planar ultra-wideband antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, 220-222, 2004.
3. Lin, C., Y. Kan, L. Kuo, and H. Chuang, "A planar triangular monopole antenna for UWB communication," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 624-626, 2005.
4. Lee, S., J. Park, and J. Lee, "A novel CPW-fed ultra-wideband antenna design," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 393-396, 2005.
5. Liang, J., C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, 2005.
6. Wang, L., W. Wu, X.-W. Shi, F. Wei, and Q. Huang, "Design of a novel monopole UWB antenna with a notched ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 13-20, 2008.
7. Low, X. N., Z. N. Chen, and T. S. P. See, "A UWB dipole antenna with enhanced impedance and gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, Oct. 2009.
8. Karakolak, T. and E. Topsakal, "A double-sided rounded bow-tie antenna (DSRBA) for UWB comunication," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 2006.
9. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "Planer monopole UWB antenna with Unii1/Unii2 WLAN-band notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 277-292, 2010.
10. Mushiake, Y., "Self-complementary antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 34, No. 6, 23-29, Dec. 1992.
11. Guo, L., X. Chen, and C. Parini, "Study of a miniaturized quasi-self-complementary UWB antenna in frequency and time domain," Radioengineering, Vol. 18, No. 4, 381-387, Dec. 2009.
12. Ray, K. P., "Design aspects of printed monopole antennas for UWB applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 28, 2008.