A novel compact printed antenna for dual band applications is presented. The antenna consists of two monopole elements and operates within the ISM 2.4 GHz and 5.2/5.8 GHz frequency bands. The proposed antenna provides a bandwidth of 403 MHz (2.184 GHz-2.587 GHz) in the lower frequency band and 4004 MHz (3.880 GHz-7.884 GHz) in the upper frequency band, respectively. Thus, it can cover multiple standards such as: HIPERLAN, 5.5 GHz WiMAX, and 2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz WLAN. Moreover, the lower resonant frequency of the proposed antenna can be easily tuned within 2.15 GHz to 3.22 GHz with almost no effect on the upper resonance. Additionally, the small ground plane size of the proposed antenna makes it suitable for almost any portable device.
2. Kuo, Y.-L., T.-W. Chiou, and K.-L. Wong, "A novel dual-band printed inverted-F antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 5, 353-355, December 5, 2001.
3. Yeh, S.-H. and K.-L. Wong, "Dual-band F-shaped monopole antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 72-75, 2002.
4. Kadambi, G. R., S. Yarasi, J. L. Sullivan, and T. Hehron, "Miniaturized dual ISM band internal antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 26-29, 2003.
5. Rennings, A., M. Rauf, P. Waldow, and I. Wolff, "A compact single/dual-band printed inverted-F antenna structure," 20th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics, Paper No. 904114, Syracuse, NY, April 19-23, 2004.
6. Nepa, P., A. A. Serra, S. Marsico, and G. Manara, "A dual-band antenna for wireless communication terminals," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium Proceeding, Vol. 4, 4284-4287, June 20-25, 2004.
7. Angelopoulos, E. S., A. I. Kostaridis, and D. I. Kaklamani, "A novel dual-band F-inverted antenna printed on a PCMCIA card," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 42, No. 2, 153-156, July 20, 2004.
8. Tsachtsiris, G. F., C. F. Soras, M. P. Karaboikis, and V. T. Makios, "Analysis of a modified sierpinski gasket monopole antenna printed on dual-band wireless devices," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2571-2579, October 2004.
9. Pan, C.-Y., C.-H. Huang, and T.-S. Horng, "A new printed G-shaped monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 45, No. 4, 295-297, May 2005.
10. David Yang, H. Y., "Miniaturized dual-band printed antennas for wireless communications," IEEE AP-S International Symposium, Digest, Washington DC, July 5, 2005.
11. Wu, J.-W., Y.-D. Wang, H.-M. Hsiao, and J.-H. Lu, "T-shaped monopole antenna with shorted L-shaped strip-sleeves for WLAN 2.4-5.8 GHz operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 65-69, July 5, 2005.
12. Pan, C.-Y., C.-H. Huang, and T.-S. Horng, "Printed crisscross monopole antenna with a square conductor-backed parasitic plane for dual-band WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 541-543, September 20, 2005.
13. Matsuoka, H., I. Seto, T. Sekiguchi, H. Yoshiba, A. Tsujimura, and M. Namekata, "Development of a PC card using planar antennas for wireless LAN on 2.4/5 GHz bands," IEEE Communications Society/WCNC, 573-577, 2005.
14. Liu, C. P., J. C. Wu, and J.-C. Liu, "Modified stack inverted-F antenna with corner-truncated techniques for WLAN 2.4/5 GHz band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 12, 2378-2381, 2006.
15. Humpfer, H. and R. Wansch, "A double-sided printed dual band antenna for wireless data transmission," 2nd International ITG Conference on Antennas, Munich, March 28-30, 2007.
16. Wang, Y. S., M.-C. Lee, and S.-J. Chung, "Two PIFA-related miniaturized dual-band antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 805-811, March 2007.
17. Zhao, G., F.-S. Zhang, Y. Song, Z.-B. Weng, and Y.-C. Jiao, "Compact ring monopole antenna with double meander lines for 2.4/5 GHz dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 187-194, 2007.
18. Midrio, M., S. Boscolo, F. Sacchetto, C. G. Someda, A. D. Capobianco, and F. M. Pigozzo, "Planar, compact dual-band antenna for wireless LAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1234-1237, 2009.
19. Behera, S. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip square ring antenna for dual-band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 41-56, 2009.
20. Lee, C.-T. and K.-L. Wong, "Uniplanar printed coupled-fed PIFA with a band-notching slit for WLAN/WiMAX operation in the laptop computer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 1252-1258, April 2009.
21. Thomas, K. and M. Sreenivasan, "A simple dual-band microstrip-fed printed antenna for WLAN applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 4, 687-694, 2009.
22. Chang, T. N. and J.-H. Jiang, "Meandered T-shaped monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3976-3978, December 2009.
23. Avila-Navarro, E., C. Cayuelas, and C. Reig, "Dual-band printed dipole antenna for Wi-Fi 802.11n applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 21, 1421-1422, 2010.
24. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, X. Yang, and X. S. Ren, "Compact printed antenna with h-shaped stub for dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 25, 1644-1645, 2010.
25. Su, S.-W. and C.-T. Lee, "Low-cost dual-loop-antenna system for dual-WLAN-band access points," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 5, 2011.
26. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
27. Luxey, C., "Small antennas for handsets," Industrial Antenna Course, MST Germany, April 23-27, 2007.
28. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 3rd Edition, Wiley & Sons Inc., 2005.
29. McLean, J. S., "A Re-examination of the fundamental limits on the radiation Q of electrically small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 5, 672-676, May 1996.
30. Harrington, R. F., "On the gain and beamwidth of directional antennas," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, 219-225, July 1958.