A novel indoor positioning system based on received signal strength (RSS) in wireless networks with high accuracy is presented in this paper. The three improvement mechanisms, called signal strength filter, user location filter and path tracking assistance, are employed to improve the positioning accuracy of the system. The comprehensive performance of the proposed system is analyzed in detail and compared with the Radar system. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed system in this paper can improve 80% accuracy in 3 meters of Radar system to 93% in typical office building testbed. Therefore, the indoor positioning system presented in this paper has the advantages of high accuracy, low cost and easy expansibility, and it can be used to locate people and assets in the fields of logistics, healthcare, and manufacturing.
2. Priyantha, N. B., A. Chakraborty, and H. Balakrishnan, "The cricket location-support system," Proceedings of MOBICOM, 32-43, ACM Press, 2000.
3. Orr, R. J. and G. D. Abowd, "The smart floor: a mechanism for natural user identification and tracking," Proceedings of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, 1-6, ACM Press, 2000.
4. Ni, L. M., et al., "LANDMARC: indoor location ensing using active RFID," Wireless Networks, Vol. 10, No. 6, 701-710, 2004.
5. Zhang, M. H., S. S. Zhang, and J. Cao, "Received-signal-strength-based indoor location in wireless LANs," Computer Science, Vol. 34, No. 6, 68-71, 2007.
6. Caffery, J. and G. Stuber, "Overview of radio location in CDMA cellular systems," IEEE Comm. Mag., April 1998.
7. Youssef, M. A., et al., "A probabilistic clustering-based indoor location determination system,", Technical Report CS-TR-4350 and UMIACS-TR-20002-30, University of Maryland, 2002.
8. Cristianini, N. and J. Shawe-Taylor, An Introduction to Support Vector Machines, Cambridge Univ. Press, 2000.
9. Liu, H., A. Kshirsagar, J. Ku, D. Lamb, and C. Niederberger, "Computational models of intracytoplasmic sperm injection prognosis," Proceedings of 13th Eur. Symp. Artif. Neural Netw., 115-120, Bruges, Belgium, 2005.
10. Kontkanen, P., T. Roos, H. Tirri, K. Valtonen, and H. Wettig, "Topics in probabilistic location estimation in wireless networks," Proceedings of 15th IEEE Symp. Pers., Indoor, Mobile Radio Commun., Vol. 2, 1052-1056, Barcelona, Spain, 2004.
11. Zhao, Y. X., H. B. Zhou, and M. F. Li, "Implementation of indoor positioning system based on location fingerprinting in wireless networks," Proceedings of 4th IEEE International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM2008), 1-4, IEEE Computer Society, 2008.
12. , , "Windows XP driver development kit,", Software Development Kits-Microsoft Corporation, 2011, http://msdn.microsoft.-com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487428.aspx.
13. Balachandran, A., "Wireless research API (WRAPI),", 2011, http://sysnet.ucsd.edu/pawn/wrapi/.
14. , , "IEEE 802.11 network adapter design guideline for windows XP,", White Paper, Microsoft Corporation, May 2003.
15. Wang, Y. F., X. D. Jia, and C. Rizos, "Two new algorithms for indoor wireless positioning system (WPS)," Proceedings of the 17th International Technical Meeting of the Satellite Division of the Institute of Navigation, 1988-1997, Institute of Navigation, 2004.
16. Kalman, R. E., "A new approach to linear filtering and prediction problems," Transactions of the ASME Journal of Basic Engineering, Vol. 82, No. 4, 34-45, 1960.
17. Zhao, Y. X., H. B. Zhou, and M. F. Li, "Indoor access points location optimization using differential evolution," Proceedings International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering, 382-385, IEEE Computer Society, 2008.
18. , , , UbiSense Company, [Online], Available: http://www.ubisense.net.
19. , , , Topaz Local Positioning Solution, [Online], Available: http://www.tadlys.co.il.
20. Otsason, V., A. Varshavsky, A. LaMarca, and E. De Lara , "Accurate GSM indoor localization," Proceedings of Ubi-Comp, Vol. 3660, 141-158, Lecture Notes Computer Science, Springer-Varlag, 2005.
21. Bahl, P. and V. N. Padmanabhan, "RADAR: an in-building RF-based user location and tracking system," Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM 2000, 775-784, IEEE Computer Society, 2000.
22. Youssef, M. and A. Agrawala, "The horus location determination system," Wireless Networks, Vol. 14, No. 3, 357-374, 2008.
23. , , , Ekahau, Inc. Ekahau Positioning Engine 4.1, [Online], Available: http://www.ekahau.com.
24. Ferreira, C., "Gene expression programming: A new adaptive algorithm for solving problems," Complex Systems, Vol. 13, No. 2, 87-129, 2001.
25. Tayebi, A., J. Gomez, F. Saez de Adana, and O. Gutierrez, "The application of ray-tracing to mobile localization using the direction of arrival and received signal strength in multipath indoor environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 1-15, 2009.
26. De Angelis, A., et al., "Indoor positioning by ultrawide band radio aided inertial navigation," Metrology and Measurement Systems, Vol. 17, No. 3, 447-460, 2010.
27. Engee, P. K., "The global positioning system: signals, measurements and performance," Int. J. Wireless Inf. Netw., Vol. 1, No. 2, 83-105, 1994.