A novel coplannar waveguide (CPW) cross-fed antenna which is wideband, high-gain and omnidirectional is proposed. After simulating the antenna model by CST MICROWAVE STUDIO®, the results show that this antenna not only has compact size, but also can effectively broaden operating band, improve gain and remain omnidirectional. In addition, adjusting antenna elements' dimension and spacing can control the central frequency position of operating band and bandwidth. The simulated results of antenna surface currents can be used to explain the reason of antenna possessing broadband and omnidirectional high-gain characteristics. A CPW cross-fed antenna operating at 2.4 GHz is designed and manufactured for measurement. The prototype is printed on a FR-4 epoxy resin board with 1 mm thickness. The experimental results indicate that the operating band is 2.35-2.85 GHz with reflection coefficient less than -10 dB (relative bandwidth 19.2%), and maximum gain in H-plane can achieve 5.2 dBi. Measured results well match the simulated ones. Moreover, the total antenna size is 187 mm × 22.5 mm (1.5λ×0.18λ), which can make it suitable in WLAN systems.
2. Kung, L., C. L. Yang, T. C. Tang, H. J. Chang, and W. B. Shie, A dual-band printed dipole antenna with integrated balun covering UMTS and WiMAX bands, Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Asia Pacific, Dec. 2009.
3. Hwang, S. H., J. I. Moon, W. I. Kwak, and S. O. Park, "Printed compact dual band antenna for 2.4 and 5 GHz ISM band applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 25, Dec. 9, 2004.
4. Liu, Y.-T. and C.-W. Su, "Wideband omnidirectional operation monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 255-261, 2008.
5. Wong, K.-L., F.-R. Hsiao, and T.-W. Chiou, "Omnidirectional planar dipole array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 624-628, 2004.
6. Balsley, B. B. and W. L. Ecklund, "A portable coaxial collinear antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 20, 513-516, 1972.
7. Mishustin, B. A., E. A. Redkina, and V. G. Slyozkin, "Coaxial collinear antennas with out-of-phase excitation of the elements," International Conference on Antenna Theory and Techniques, 504-506, Sevastopol, Ukraine, Sept. 9-12, 2003.
8. Judasz, T. J., W. L. Ecklund, B. B. Balsley, "The coaxial collinear antenna: Current distribution from the cylindrical antenna equation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 3, Mar. 1987.
9. Litva, J., Y. Zhuang, and A. Liang, "Modeling study of coaxial collinear antenna array," Electrical and Computer Engineering, Canadian Conference, Sept. 14-17, 1993.
10. Sakitani, A. and S. Egashira, "Analysis of coaxial collinear antenna: recurrence formula of voltage and admittance at connection ," IEEE AP, Vol. 39, No. 1, 15-20, Jan. 1990.
11. Zhou, Y.-Q., P. Lee, F. Jia, and B. Xu, "A technique for improving bandwidth of COCO antenna array," 4th International Conference on WiCOM, Oct. 12-14, 2008.
12. Gao, C. J., F. Guang, H.-Q. Zhang, and S.-D. Huo, Design and research of an improved printed dipole array antenna, Proceedings of 2009 National Annual Conference on Antenna, Chengdu, China, Oct. 2009.
13. Li, X., L. Yang, S.-X. Gong, and Y.-J. Yang, "Bidirectional high gain antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 99-106, 2009.