This study presents a design of a compact stub-type bandpass filter with capacitively loaded stubs and a fold-back structure. This paper employed the fabrication process of low-temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) for filter realization of a multi-layer structure. The proposed filter structure required adding end capacitors to stubs to extend their electrical length, while achieving a length reduction of 30%. This study provided design curves to determine the dimensions of the end capacitor for reaching maximum electrical length extension. In addition, a fold-back configuration was applied to halve the filter size. An experimental filter operating at 5.8 GHz was fabricated and measured to validate the design concept, achieving a highly compact size of 14.3×8.2×0.76 mm3.
2. Chang, K., I. Bahl, and V. Nair, RF and Microwave Circuit and Component Design for Wireless Systems, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2002.
3. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Johns, "Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks, and Coupling Structures," Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
4. Abdel-Rahman, A., A. K. Verma, A. Boutejdar, and A. S. Omar, "Compact stub type microstrip bandpass filter using defected ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 4, 136-138, 2004.
5. Lin, W.-J., C.-S. Chang, J.-Y. Li, D.-B. Lin, L.-S. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "Improved compact broadband bandpass filter using branch stubs co-via structure with wide stopband characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 45-55, 2008.
6. Razalli, M. S., A. Ismail, M. A. Mahdi, and M. N. Bin Hamidon, "Novel compact microstrip ultra-wideband filter utilizing short-circuited stubs with less vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 91-104, 2008.
7. Zhang, L., Z.-Y. Yu, and S.-G. Mo, "Novel planar multimode bandpass filters with radial-line stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 33-42, 2010.
8. Li, R., S. Sun, and L. Zhu, "Synthesis design of ultra-wideband bandpass filters with composite series and shunt stubs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 684-692, 2009.
9. Ma, Z., K. Kikuchi, Y. Kobayashi, T. Anada, and G. Hagiwara, Novel microstrip dual-band bandstop filter with controllable dual-stopband response , Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1177-1180, 2006.
10. Tsai, C.-M., H.-M. Lee, and C.-C. Tsai, "Planar filter design with fully controllable second passband," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 3429-3439, 2005.
11. Chin, K.-S. and C.-K. Lung, "Miniaturized microstrip dual-band bandstop filters using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 10, 37-48, 2009.
12. Chin, K.-S. and J.-H. Yeh, "Dual-wideband bandpass filter using short-circuited stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 3, 155-157, 2009.
13. Quendo, C., E. Rius, and C. Person, "Narrow bandpass filters using dual-behavior resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 734-743, 2003.
14. Zhu, L. and W. Menzel, "Compact microstrip bandpass filter with two transmission zeros using a stub-tapped half-wavelength line resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 1618, 2003.
15. Lin, X.-M., "Design of compact tri-band bandpass filter using λ/4 and stub-loaded resonators ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 2029-2035, 2010.
16. Velázquez-Ahumada, M. D. C., J. Martel-Villagr, F. Medina, and F. Mesa, "Application of stub loaded folded stepped impedance resonators to dual band filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 107-124, 2010.
17. Liu, C.-Y., T. Jiang, and Y.-S. Li, "A novel UWB filter with notch-band characteristic using radial-UIR/SIR loaded stub resonators ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 233-245, 2011.
18. Yin, Q., L.-S. Wu, L. Zhou, and W.-Y. Yin, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using asymmetrical dual stub-loaded open-loops," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2397-2406, 2010.
19. Liu, H., R. H. Knoechel, and K. F. Schuenemann, "Miniaturized bandstop filter using meander spurline and capacitively loaded stubs," ETRI Journal, Vol. 29, No. 5, 2007.
20. Drozd, J. M. and W. T. Joines, "A capacitively loaded half-wavelength tapped-stub resonator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 45, No. 7, 1100-1104, 1997.
21. Hoa, D. T. and I. S. Kim, "Miniaturized low insertion loss multilayer capacitively loaded step-impedance interdigital bandpass filter," Proceedings of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2007.
22. Görür, A., C. Karpuz, and M. Akpinar, "A reduced-size dual-mode bandpass filter with capacitively loaded open-loop arms," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, No. 9, 385-387, 2003.
23. Stark, A. and A. F. Jacob, A broadband vertical transition for millimeter-wave applications, Proceedings of the 38th European Microwave Conference, 476-479, 2008.
24. Valois, R., et al., "High performances of shielded LTCC vertical transitions from DC up to 50 GHz," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 6, 2026-2032, 2005.
25. Yang, T.-H., C.-F. Chen, T.-Y. Huang, C.-L. Wang, and R.-B. Wu, A 60 GHz LTCC transition between microstrip line and substrate integrated waveguide, Proceedings of Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 3, 2005.
26. Lee, Y. C., "CPW-to-stripline vertical via transitions for 60 GHz LTCC SoP applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 37-44, 2008.