This paper deals with an investigation on the polarization of an antenna array with a circular geometry. The theory shows that the polarization of a circular array exhibits a circular polarization independent of the antenna elements. Circular polarization is then achieved whatever the polarization of the elements of the array. Moreover, due to the circular geometry of the array, the entire far field pattern of the array can be obtained with the measurement or the simulation of only one antenna inside the array. The influence of the array radius on the polarization performances has been investigated. An antenna array has been built, and measurements have been performed in order to corroborate the theoretical results.
2. Simpson, T. and J. Tillman, "Parasitic excitation of circular antenna arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 9, No. 3, 263-267, May 1961.
3. Shihab, M., Y. Najjar, N. Dib, and M Khodier, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays using particle swarm optimization," Electrical Engineering, Vol. 59, 216-220, 2008.
4. Gurel, L. and O. Ergul, "Design and simulation of circular arrays of trapezoidal-tooth log-periodic antennas via genetic optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 243-260, 2008.
5. Chang, T.-N. and J.-H. Jiang, "Enhance gain and bandwidth of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupled method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 127-139, 2009.
6. Davies, D. E. N., "Correspondence: Mutual coupling compensation for small, circularly symmetric planar antenna arrays," IEE Proceedings H Microwaves, Optics and Antennas, Vol. 129, No. 5, 281-283, Oct. 1982.
7. Huang, J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 34, No. 9, 1113-1124, Sep. 1986.
8. Herscovici, N., Z. Sipus, and D. Bonefacic, "Circularly polarized single-fed wide-band microstrip patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 6, 1277-1280, Jun. 2003.
9. Chauvet, F., R. Guinvarc'h, and M. Hélier, "Approximated method neglecting coupling for conformal array," Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Journal, Vol. 22, 105-111, Mar. 2007.
10. Guinvarc'h, R. and N. Ribière-Tharaud, "A wideband antenna for P-band airborne SAR applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, AP-S, 1-4, 2008.