This work proposes a symmetrical offset stack coupled lines balun and a dual balun for a single balanced mixer and a star mixer, respectively. To achieve a minimum insertion loss and a maximum bandwidth, the design formulas are derived by properly selecting the width of coupled lines and the offset width between two coupled lines. The measured results of the proposed single and dual baluns achieve the bandwidths of over 110% and 90%, and insertion losses of less than 4.4 dB and 7.4 dB at 38 GHz. These two baluns occupied chip sizes of 0.07 mm2. Two balanced diode mixers are further proposed and implemented in tsmcTM 0.18-μm CMOS processes. These mixers utilize a stack balun feature wide bandwidth with very compact size. The measured results of the single balanced and star mixer achieve over 115% and 100% bandwidth for a conversion loss of <15 dB. The isolations are better than 24 dB from 10 to 65 GHz of the single balance mixer and better than 31 dB from 20 to 65 GHz of the star mixer.
2. Guo, J., Z. Xu, C. Qian, and W. Dou, "Design of a microstrip balanced mixer for satellite communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 289-301, 2011.
3. Lin, C.-M., J.-T. Chang, C.-C. Su, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H. Wang, "A 16-31 GHz miniature quadruple subharmonic monolithic mixer with lumped diplexer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 21-30, 2009.
4. Wu, P.-S., C.-S. Lin, T.-W. Huang, and H. Wang, "A millimeter-wave ultra-compact broadband diode mixer using modified Marchand balun," Gallium Arsenide and Other Semiconduct. Applicat. Symp., 349-352, Oct. 2005.
5. Lin, C.-H., H.-Z. Liu, C.-K. Chu, H.-K. Huang, C.-C. Liu, and C.-H. Chang, A Ku/K-band PHEMT diode single-balanced mixer, Solid-state Integrated Circuit Technol. Conf., 884-886, Oct. 2006.
6. Chiou, H.-K. and T.-Y. Yang, "Low-loss and broadband asymmetric broadside-coupled balun for mixer design in 0.18-μm CMOS technology ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 4, 835-848, Jun. 2008.
7. Hung, S.-H., W.-C. Chien, C.-M. Lin, Y.-A. Lai, and Y.-H. Wang, "V-band high isolation subharmonic monolithic mixer with hairpin diplexer ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 161-169, 2010.
8. Lin, C.-M., Y.-C. Lee, S.-H. Hung, and Y.-H.Wang, "A 28-40 GHz doubly balanced monolithic passive mixer with a compact IF extraction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 59-66, 2009.
9. Kim, J., K.-T. Kornegay, J. Alvarado, C.-H. Lee, and J. Laskar, "W-band double-balanced down-conversion mixer with Marchand baluns in silicon-germanium technology ," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 16, 841-843, 2009.
10. Chiou, H.-K., Y.-R. Juang, and H.-H. Lin, "Miniature MMIC star double balanced mixer using lumped dual balun," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, No. 6, 503-505, Apr. 1997.
11. Lee, Y.-C., C.-M. Lin, S.-H. Hung, C.-C. Su, and Y.-H. Wang, "A broadband doubly balanced monolithic ring mixer with a compact intermediate frequency (IF) extraction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 175-184, 2009.
12. Kuo, C.-C., C.-K. Kuo, C.-J. Kuo, S.-A. Mass, and H. Wang, "Novel miniature and broadband millimeter-wave monolithic star mixer ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 4, 793-802, Jun. 2008.
13. Chiou, H.-K. and J.-Y. Lin, "Symmetric offset stack balun in standard 0.13 μm CMOS technology for three broadband and low-loss balanced passive mixer designs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1529-1538, Jun. 2011.