This paper presents the design and fabrication of a class of dielectric filled rectangular waveguides using a multilayer photoimageable thick-film technique. The original fabrication technique is modified to shorten fabrication time and improve waveguide thickness to reduce transmission structure losses. The materials used are first characterized before the wave-guiding properties are extracted. The fabricated waveguides show excellent results in term of loss and a 1% variation in permittivity over a wide frequency range of 10-100 GHz. To demonstrate the practical applications of this modified fabrication technique, 5th and 3rd order band-pass filters are designed and fabricated. The different incertitude on the fabrication issues is studied showing an effect on the bandwidth and central frequency. The measurement results of the fabricated prototypes agree well with the simulated ones. A broadband 3 dB coupler is designed and fabricated covering both V and W bands. The measurements results for this circuit show good performance with 23% of bandwidth and are in good agreement with the simulations.
2. Smulders, P., "Exploiting the 60 GHz band for local wireless multimedia access: Prospects and future directions," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 40, No. 1, 140-147, 2002.
3. Martin, C., J. Lovgerg, S. Clark, and J. Galliano, Real time passive millimeter-wave imaging from a helicopter platform, Proceedings of the 19th Digital Avionics Systems Conferences, Vol. 1, 2B1/1-2B1/8, 2000.
4. Essen, H., A. Wahlen, R. Sommer, W. Johannes, J. Wilcke, M. Schlechtweg, and A. Tessmann, A versatile, miniaturized high performance W-band radar, German Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2009.
5. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits --- a new concept for high-frequency electronics and opto-electronics," 6th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, 2003, TEL-SIKS 2003, Vol. 1, P-III-P-X, 2003.
6. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-substrate integrated waveguide transitions," IMS 2010, 704-708, 2010.
7. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Single-layer waveguide consisting of posts for plane wave excitation in parallel plate," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 5, 625-630, May 1998.
8. Aftanasar, M. S., P. R. Young, I. D. Robertson, J. Minalgiene, and S. Lucyszyn, "Photoimageable thick-film millimetre-wave metal-pipe rectangular waveguides," Electronic Letters, Vol. 37, No. 18, 1122-1123, 2001.
9. Stephens, D., P. R. Young, and I. D. Robertson, "Millimeter-wave substrate integrated waveguides and filters in photoimageable thick-film technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 12, 3832-3838, 2005.
10. Henry, M., C. E. Free, B. S. Izqueirdo, J. Batchelor, and P. Young, "Millimeter wave substrate integrated waveguide antennas: Design and fabrication analysis," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, Vol. 32, No. 1, 93-100, 2009.
11. Samanta, K. K., D. Stephens, and I. D. Robertson, "Ultrawide-band characterisation of photoimageable thick film materials for microwave and millimeter-wave design," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp., 2005.
12. Matthaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance Matching Networks and Coupling Structure, Artech House, Dedham, 1985.
13. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, McGraw-Hill, 1951.
14. Sammoura, F., Y.-K. Fuh, and L. Lin, "Micromachined plastic W-band bandpass filters," Sensors and Actuators, Vol. 147, 47-51, 2008.
15. Riblet, H. J., The short-slot hybrid junction, Proc. IRE, Vol. 40, 180-184, Feb. 1952.
16. Hildebrand, L. T., "Results for a simple compact narrow-wall directional coupler," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, No. 6, 231-232, Jun. 2000.
17. Hao, Z. C., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, H. X. Zhou, and K.Wu, "Single-layer substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers," IEE Proc. Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 153, No. 5, Oct. 2006.
18. Cassivi, Y., D. Deslandes, and K. Wu, Substrate integrated waveguide directional couplers, ASIA-Pacific Conf., Kyoto, 2002.
19. Djerafi, T., M. Daigle, H. Boutayeb, X. Zhang, and K. Wu, Substrate integrated waveguide six-port broadband front-end circuit for millimeter-wave radio and radar systems, European Microwave Conference, 77-80, 2009.