This paper studies static effect of communication Low Noise Amplifier (LNA) that utilizes GaAs wafer. It analyzes the Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) effect, which occurs within communication components, such as GaAs LNA, and describes testing standard and methods. In order to find out GaAs LNA's susceptibility to static, two well-recognized communication GaAs LNA IC models were selected to be tested. Commercial program allowed measuring of static energy inserted within LNA's internal circuit by running a simulation about static discharge of GaAs LNA. Then we analyzed malfunctions caused by static and discussed about architectural problem and improvement according to the test and simulation result, from the perspective of GaAs LNA's electro static discharge.
2. Howes, M. J. and D. V. Morgan, Reliability and Degradation, Wiley, New York, 1981.
3. Vinson, J. E. and J. J. Liou, "Electrostatic discharge in semiconductor devices," Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 86, 399-420, 1998.
4. Green, T., A review of EOS/ESD field failure in military equipment, Proc. 10th EOS/ESD Symposium, 1998.
5. Wunsch, D. C. and R. R. Bell, "Determination of threshold failure levels of semiconductor diodes and transistors due to pulse voltages ," Nuclear and Plasma Sciences Society, Vol. 15, 244, Nov. 1968.
6. Schreier, L. A., Electrostatic damage susceptibility of semiconductor devices, Reliability Physics Symposium, 151, Apr. 1978.
7. Lacrampe, N., F. Caignet, M. Bafleur, N. Nolhier, and N. Mauran, Characterization and modeling methodology for IC's ESD susceptibility at system level using VF-TLP tester, 29th Electrical Overstress/Electrostatic Discharge Symposium, Vol. Sep. 16-21, 2007, 1.
8. Amerasekera, A., W. Abeelen, L. Roozendaal, M. Hannemann, and P. Schofield, "ESD failure modes: characteristics mechanisms, and process influences," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 39, 430-436, Feb. 1992.
9. Polgreen, T. L. and A. Chatterjee, "Improving the ESD failure threshold of silicided n-MOS output transistors by ensuring uniform current flow," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 39, 379, Feb. 1992.
10. Soohoo, K. M. and C.-Y. Wu, On component level ESD testing, Industry Applications Society Annual Meeting IEEE Conference, 872, Oct. 7-12, 1990.
11. MaCleod, L. M. and K. G. Balmain, "Compact traveling-wave physical simulator for human ESD," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 39, 89, May 1997.
12. Zaridze, R., D. Karkashadze, R. G. Djobava, D. Pommerenke, and M. Aidam, "Numerical calculation and measurement of transient fields from electrostatic discharges," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging, and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 19, 178, Jul. 1996.
13. Jobava, R., D. Pommerenke, D. Karkashadze, P. Shubitidze, R. Zaridze, S. Frei, and M. Aidam, "Computer simulation of ESD from voluminous objects compared to transient fields of humans," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 42, 54, Feb. 2000.
14. Giannetti, R. and B. Tellini, "Equivalent network modeling to simulate electrical discharges," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 36, 971, Jul. 2000.
15. Caniggia, S., "Circuit and numerical modeling of electrostatic discharge generators," IEEE Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol. 42, 1350-1357, 2006.
16. Smedt, R. D., K. Vervoort, E. V. Oerle, and D. V. Troyen, Effect of a board on the shielding effectiveness of a box, EMC Europe International Symposium on EMC, 413-418, 2002.