A printed dipole antenna with back to back asymmetric dual-C-shape uniform strips capable of generating a wide operating band for digital television (DTV) signal reception in the 470-862 MHz band is presented. This antenna is associated with C-shape strips and asymmetric structure, and it operates band in 455-865 MHz. By proper adjusting some parameters, it is possible to achieve a broadband response. Measured results have been compared with simulation and found in a good agreement. The antenna with back to back asymmetric dual-C-shape uniform strips can generate two adjacent resonant modes to form a wide operating band of larger than 62% in 2.5:1 VSWR bandwidth, which is much wider than that of the corresponding back to back symmetric dual-C-shape strips dipole antenna. The experimental results show that stable radiation pattern is similar to a dipole antenna. The measured peak gains are 3.2 dBi and 2.3 dBi, at 620 MHz and 780 MHz, respectively. The radiation efficiencies are all larger than 60% for an entire DTV band.
2. Chi, Y. W., K. L. Wong, and S. H. Yeh, "End-fed modified planar dipole antenna for DTV signal reception," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, 676-680, 2007.
3. Liu, W. C. and D. L. Huang, "Multiband ladder-shaped monopole antenna foe digital television and wireless communications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2124-2127, 2009.
4. Huang, C. Y., B. M. Jeng, and J. S. Kuo, "Grating monopole antenna for DVB-T applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 1175-1176, 2008.
5. Chen, H. D., "Compact broadband microstrip-line-fed sleeve monopole antenna for DTV application and ground plane effect," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 497-500, 2008.
6. Xiao, J. X., X. X. Yang, G. P. Gao, and J. S. Zhang, "Double-printed U-shape ultra-wideband dipole antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 8-9, 1148-1154, 2008.
7. Liu, H., X. Chen, and K. Huang, "A novel wideband cylinder conformal microstrip antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1955-1964, 2008.
8. He, Q. Q., B. Z. Wang, and J. He, "Wideband and dual-band design of a printed dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 1-4, 2008.
9. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, S. L. Zuo, and S. X. Gong, "Wideband uni-directional patch antenna with Γ-shaped strip feed," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 24-26, 2010.
10. [Online] Available: http://www.ansoft.com/products/hf/hfss/Ansoft Corporation HFSS .