A planar monopole antenna with reconfigurable radiation patterns is demonstrated. The radiation pattern reconfigurability is realized straightforwardly with an employment of a detached magnetodielectric slab placed in the vicinity of the antenna structure. It is shown the radiation patterns can be easily reconfigured through the adjustment of the spacing between the slab and the antenna structure. Technically, the radiated fields are redistributed owing to the inclusion of the magnetodielectric slab, which is of high permittivity, as well as permeability. As a result, the planar monopole gain with the slab is increased up to 4 dBi while the antenna resonant frequency remains almost unchanged.
2. Huff, G. H. and J. T. Bernhard, "Integration of packaged RF MEMS switches with radiation pattern reconfigurable square spiral microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 464-469, Feb. 2006.
3. Grau, A., J. Romeu, M.-J. Lee, S. Blanch, L. Jofre, and F. D. Flaviis, "A dual-linearly-polarized MEMS-reconfigurable antenna for narrowband MIMO communication systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 1, 4-17, Jan. 2010.
4. Nikolaou, S., R. Bairavasubramanian, C. Lugo, I. Carrasquillo, D. Thompson, G. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. Tentzeris, "Pattern and frequency reconfigurable annular slot antenna using PIN diodes ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 439-448, Feb. 2006.
5. Jin, N., F. Yang, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A novel reconfigurable patch antenna with both frequency and polarization diversities for wireless communications," Proc. IEEE Antennas and Propag. Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1796-1799, Jun. 2004.
6. Chen, R.-H. and J. S. Row, "Single-fed microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 4, 922-926, Apr. 2008.
7. Aissat, H., L. Cirio, M. Grzeskowiak, J.-M. Laheurte, and O. Picon, "Reconfigurable circularly polarized antenna for short-range communication systems," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 6, 2856-2863, Jun. 2006.
8. Huff, G. H., J. Feng, S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square microstrip spiral antenna," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, 57-59, Feb. 2003.
9. Bernhard, J. T., Recon¯gurable Antenna: Synthesis Lectures on Antennas, Morgan & Claypool, 2007.
10. Lai, W.-C., D.-L. Miao, and C.-W. Hsue, "Effect of magnetic layer on radiation characteristics of monopole antenna," 4th International Conference on Electromagnetic Near-Field Characterization and Imaging (ICONIC 2009), 255-258, Taipei, Taiwan, 2009.
11. HFSS 11, Ansoft Corporation (ANSYS) [Online]. Available: www. ansoft.com.
12. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1997.