We investigate numerically the collision of nonlinear envelope pulses in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors. Because of the nonlinearity caused by the Schottky varactors, the dispersive distortion of envelope pulses is well compensated. We find that when two nonlinear envelope pulses traveling in the opposite directions collide, two envelope pulses are newly developed. The carrier wave frequency of the newly developed pulse is the harmonic of the colliding pulses that satisfies the phase-matching condition.
2. Rodwell, M. J. W., S. T. Allen, R. Y. Yu, M. G. Case, U. Bhattacharya, M. Reddy, E. Carman, M. Kamegawa, Y. Konishi, J. Pusl, and R. Pullela, "Active and nonlinear wave propagation devices in ultrafast electronics and optoelectronics," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, 1037-1059, 1994.
3. Narahara, K., "Interaction of nonlinear pulses developed in coupled transmission lines regularly spaced Schottky varactors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 85-93, 2010.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, 2006.
5. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Signal reshaping in a transmission line with negative group velocity behaviour," Microwave Optical Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2627-2633, 2009.
6. Chi, P. and T. Itoh, "Dispersion engineering with CRLH metamaterials," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, 128-131, 2009.
7. Gómez-Diaz, J. S., S. Gupta, A. Álvarez-Melcón, and C. Caloz, "Investigation on the phenomenology of impulse-regime metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 57, 4010-4014, 2009.
8. Kozyrev, A. B. and D. W. Van Der Weide, "Nonlinear wave propagation phenomena in left-handed transmission-line media," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, 238-245, 2005.
9. Gupta, S. and C. Caloz, "Dark and bright solitons in left-handed nonlinear transmission line metamaterials," Proc. of IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. 2007, 979-982, Honolulu, 2007.
10. Kafaratzis, A. and Z. Hu, "Envelope solitons in nonlinear left handed transmission lines," Proceedings of Metamaterials 2007, 771-773, 22-24, Rome, 2007.
11. Simion, S., R. Marcelli, G. Bartolucci, G. Sajin, and F. Craciunoiu, "Nonlinear composite right/left-handed transmission line for frequency doubler and short pulse generation," Proc. of Metamaterials 2008, 492-494, 2008.
12. Gharakhili, F. G., M. Shahabadi, and M. Hakkak, "Bright and dark soliton generation in a left-handed nonlinear transmission line with series nonlinear capacitors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 237-249, 2009.
13. Ogasawara, J. and K. Narahara, "Short envelope pulse propagation in composite right- and left-handed transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors," IEICE Electron. Express, Vol. 6, 1576-1581, 2009.
14. Taniuti, T., Reductive perturbation method and far fields of wave equations, Prog. Theor. Phys. Suppl., Vol. 55, 1-55, 1974.
15. Boyd, R. W., Nonlinear Optics, Academic Press, 2002.