We experimentally investigate the properties of nonlinear pulses in coupled transmission lines with regularly spaced Schottky varactors. The c and π modes are different propagation modes that can be developed on a coupled line. Time-domain measurements show that both modes support soliton-like pulses due to the presence of the Schottky varactors; small c-mode pulses are generated by colliding two π-mode pulses traveling in opposite directions. Moreover, we discuss the relationship of the amplitude of the newly generated c-mode pulses with different bias voltages and π-mode-pulse amplitudes.
2. Rodwell, M. J. W., S. T. Allen, R. Y. Yu, M. G. Case, U. Bhattacharya, M. Reddy, E. Carman, M. Kamegawa, Y. Konishi, J. Pusl, and R. Pullela, "Active and nonlinear wave propagation devices in ultrafast electronics and optoelectronics," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 82, 1037-1059, 1994.
3. Kintis, M., X. Lan, and F. Fong, "An MMIC pulse generator using dual nonlinear transmission lines," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compo. Lett., Vol. 17, 454-456, 2007.
4. Yildirim, O. O., D. S. Ricketts, and D. Ham, "Reflection soliton oscillator," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 2344-2353, 2009.
5. Ryjenkova, I. V., V. K. Mezentsev, S. L. Musher, S. K. Turitsyn, R. Hülsewede, and D. Jäger, "Millimeter wave generation on nonlinear transmission lines," Ann. Telecommun., Vol. 52, 134-139, 1997.
6. Jäger, D., "Characteristics of traveling-waves along nonlinear transmission lines for monolithic integrated circuits: A review," Int. J. Electron., Vol. 58, 649-669, 1985.
7. Wedding, B. and D. Jäger, "Phase-matched second harmonic generation and parametric mixing on nonlinear transmission lines," Electron. Lett., Vol. 17, 76-77, 1981.
8. Ikezi, H., J. S. Degrassie, and J. Drake, "Soliton generation at 10MW level in the very high frequency band," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 58, 986-987, 1991.
9. Narahara, K., "Coupled nonlinear transmission lines for doubling repetition rate of incident pulse streams," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 69-78, 2010.
10. Narahara, K., "Interaction of nonlinear pulses developed in coupled transmission lines regularly spaced Schottky varactors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 17, 85-93, 2010.
11. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, and I. J. Bahl, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, Artech, 1979.