A simple DoA estimator is proposed with a switched beam antenna. The estimator is implemented with an adjacent pattern power ratio algorithm. For a single source signal, the received signal powers are measured while the antenna switches over a set of measured directive beam patterns. The pattern that exhibits the maximum received signal power is chosen. Then, the ratio between the pattern adjacent to the chosen pattern and the chosen pattern, is used to find the DoA by using a lookup table or by performing a linear regression approximation. Compared with conventional DoA estimators with switched beam antenna, the proposed algorithm allows DoA estimation with low computational cost, without sacrificing much the estimation precision. Computer simulations and experiments in an anechoic chamber are carried out to verify the proposed algorithm with a switched beam antenna: the electronically steerable parasitic array radiator (ESPAR) antenna.
2. Chandran, S., Advances in Direction-of-Arrival Estimation, Artech House, Inc., Boston, 2005.
3. Thiel, D. V. and S. Smith, Switched Parasitic Antennas for Cellular Communications, Artech House, Inc., Boston, 2001.
4. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, 276-280, Mar. 1986.
5. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Trans. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, Jul. 1989.
6. Taillefer, E., J. Cheng, and Y. Watanabe, "Full azimuth direction-of-arrival estimation with successive-selection technique," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 12, 5903-5915, Dec. 2008.
7. Svantesson, T. and M. Wennstrom, "High-resolution direction finding using a switched parasitic antenna," 11th IEEE Signal Processing Workshop on Statistical Signal Processing, 508-511, Singapore, Aug. 2001.
8. Plapous, C., J. Cheng, E. Taillefer, A. Hirata, and T. Ohira, "Reactance domain MUSIC algorithm for electronically steerable parasitic array radiator," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 12, 3257-3264, Dec. 2004.
9. Cheng, J. and T. Ohira, "ESPAR antenna signal processing for DoA estimation," Advances in Direction-of-Arrival Estimation, 395-417, Ed. by Sathich Chandran, Artech House, Inc., Boston, Dec. 2005.
10. Varlamos, P. K., S. A. Mitilineos, S. C. Panagiotou, A. I. Sotiriou, and C. N. Capsalis, "Direction-of-Arrival estimation approach using switched parasitic arrays," Advances in Direction-of-Arrival Estimation, 145-160, Ed. By Sathich Chandran, Artech House, Inc., Boston, Dec. 2005.
11. Taillefer, E., W. Nomura, J. Cheng, M. Taromaru, Y. Watanabe, and T. Ohira, "Enhanced reactance-domain ESPRIT algorithm employing multiple beams and translational-invariance soft selection for direction-of-arrival estimation in the full azimuth ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2514-2526, Aug. 2008.
12. Ohira, T. and K. Gyoda, Hand-held microwave direction-of-arrival finder based on varactor-tuned analog aerial beam-forming, Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf., 585-588, Taipei, Dec. 2001.
13. Preston, S. T., D. V. Thiel, T. A. Smith, S. G. O'Keefe, and J. Lu, "Base-station tracking in mobile communications using a switched parasitic antenna array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 6, 841-844, Jun. 1998.
14. Taillefer, E., A. Hirata, and T. Ohira, "Direction-of arrival estimation using radiation power pattern with an ESPAR antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 2, 678-684, Feb. 2005.
15. Ozaki, Y., J. Ozawa, E. Taillefer, J. Cheng, and Y. Watanabe, Direction-of-arrival estimation using adjacent pattern power ratio with switched beam antenna, IEEE Pacific Rim Conference on Communications, Computer and Signal Processing (PacRim), 453-458, Aug. 2009.
16. Cheng, J., M. Hashiguchi, K. Iigusa, and T. Ohira, "Electronically steerable parasitic array radiator antenna for omni- and sector pattern forming applications to wireless ad hoc networks," IEE Proc. - Microw. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 150, No. 4, 203-208, Aug. 2003.
17. Cheng, J., E. Taillefer, and T. Ohira, Omni-, sector and adaptive modes of compact array antenna, Handbook on Advancements in Smart Antenna Technologies for Wireless Networks, C. Sun, J. Cheng, and T. Ohira (eds.), 532-544, IGI Global, Hershey, USA, 2008.
18. Ohira, T. and K. Iigusa, "Electronically steerable parasitic array radiator antenna," The Transactions of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, C, Vol. J87-C, No. 1, 12-31, Jan. 2004 (in Japanese).