A novel ultra-wideband (UWB) pulse synthesizer is proposed, which uses a distributed amplifier to combine Gaussian pulses of different polarities, amplitudes and delays. The center frequency and bandwidth of the synthesized pulse can be adjusted by varying the number of the Gaussian pulses and the delays between them. Compared to other UWB pulse generators, the present synthesizer is capable of higher voltages and higher efficiencies. Using 0.25-μm pHEMTs, a prototype synthesizer has been designed and fabricated with a center frequency of 4.0 GHz and a bandwidth of 1.9 GHz. Under a Gaussian input pulse of 1.5 V and 100 ps, the synthesizer outputs into 50 Ω a pulse of 4.5 V and 1 ns. At a pulse-repetition frequency of 10 MHz, the synthesizer consumes 1 mA at 3 V with 17% efficiency. Approaches to maintain high efficiency by scaling the supply voltage for different input amplitudes and pulse-repetition frequencies have also been verified experimentally.
2. Fontana, R. J., E. Richley, and J. Barney, "Commercialization of an ultra wideband precision asset location system," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Ultra-wideband Systems Technologies, 369-373, Nov. 2003.
3. Federal Communications Commission, Revision of part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems: First report and order, Washington DC, ET-docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, 1-118, Feb. 14, 2002.
4. Wentzloff, D. D. and A. P. Chandrakasan, "A 3.1-10.6 GHz ultra-wideband pulse shaping mixer," Proc. IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symp. Dig., 83-86, Jun. 2005.
5. Li, K., "Experimental study on UWB pulse generation using UWB band pass filters ," Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Ultra-wideband Systems Technologies , 103-108, Sep. 2006.
6. Baranauskas, D. and D. Zelenin, "A 0.36W 6b up to 20GS/s DAC for UWB wave formation," Proc. IEEE Int. Solid-state Circuits Conf., 2380-2389, Feb. 2006.
7. Kim, H., D. Park, and Y. Joo, "All-digital low power CMOS pulse generator for UWB system," IEE Electronics Lett., Vol. 40, No. 24, 1534-1535, Nov. 2004.
8. Smaini, L., et al., "Single-chip CMOS pulse generator for UWB systems," IEEE J. Solid-state Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 7, 1551-1561, Jul. 2006.
9. Diao, S. and Y. Zheng, An ultra low power and high efficiency UWB transmitter for WPAN applications, Proc. Europe Solid-state Circuit Conf., 386-389, Sep. 2008.
10. Fang, C., C. L. Law, and J. C. M. Hwang, "High-voltage high-efficiency ultrawideband pulse synthesizer," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, 49-51, Jan. 2010.
11. Low, Z. N., J. H. Cheong, and C. L. Law, "Novel low cost higher order derivative Gaussian pulse generator circuit," Proc. Int. Conf. Communications Systems, 30-34, Sep. 2004.
12. Strid, E. W. and K. R. Gleeson, "A DC-12 GHz monolithic GaAs FET distributed amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 30, No. 7, 969-975, Jul. 1982.
13. TriQuint Semiconductors, Inc., Hillsboro, Oregon, USA.
14. Kimball, D., P. Draxler, J. Jeong, C. Hsia, S. Lanfranco, W. Nagy, K. Linthicum, L. Larson, and P. Asbeck, "50% PAE WCDMA basestation amplifier implemented with GaN HFETs," IEEE Compound Semiconductor Integrated Circuit Symp. Dig., 89-92, Oct. 2005.