This paper presents an UWB antenna concept adapted for a potential application of RFID in a severe multi-paths environment for European regulation (UWB-LDR 6--8.5 GHz). The UWB provides theoretically the signal integrity and designing the UWB antenna is compatible with low size, cost and low complexity consideration. Under the hypothesis of using the same antenna at both transmitting or receiving states, the 1/f2 effect of free space attenuation can be minimised by a pre-emphasis included in the antenna design, that is to say an ``f-gain" antennas at both transmitting (Tx) and receiving (Rx) parts. As a result, the printed antennas described are neither constant aperture nor constant gain type.
2. Shantz, H., "A brief history of UWB antennas," Proceedings of IEEE UWB Systems and Technologies, 2003.
3. Shantz, H., "Radiation efficiency of UWB antennas," Proceedings of IEEE UWB Systems and Technologies, 2002.
4. Schmitt, R., "Understanding electromagnetic fields and antenna radiation takes (almost) no math," EDN Mag., Vol. 3, 77-88, 2000.
5. Peyrot-Solis, M. A., et al., "State of the art in UWB antennas," 2nd International Conf. on Electrical and Electronics Engineering (ICEEE), Mexico, Sep. 2005.
6. Schantz, H., "Dispersion and UWB antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium'05, 2005.
7. Schantz, H., A near field propagation law and a novel limit to antenna gain vs size, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Symposium, 2005.
8. Cheng, D. C., "Update various kinds of UWB antennas," IEEE UWB Symposium, Taiwan, 2005.
9. Ma, T. and S. Jeng, "Planar miniature tapered slot fed annular slot antennas for UWB radios," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 215-226, 2005.
10. Schantz, H., The Art and Science of Ultra-wideband Antennas, Artech House, 2005, Mar. 2005.
11. Scholtz, R., et al., "Ultra-wideband radio," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, 252-272.
12. Rumsey, V., "Frequency independent antenna," IRE National Convention Record, Pt. I, 114-118, 1957.
13. Finkenzeller, K., RFID Handbook: Fundamentals and Applications in Contactless Smart Cards and Identification, Wiley, Apr. 2003.
14. Paret, D., Identification Radiofréquence et Cartes à Puce Sans Contact, Dunod, 2001.
15. Diet, A., A. Azoulay, A. Joisel, and B. Duchêne, "A UWB microstrip antenna design and simulation," European Microwave Week, European Conference on Wireless Technology, EuMW/ECWT, 1694-1697, Manchester, UK, Sep. 2006.
16. Arnaud-Cormos, D., T. Letertre, A. Diet, and A. Azoulay, "Electromagnetic environment of RFID systems," European Microwave Week, European Conference on Wireless Technology, EuMW/ECWT, Munich, Germany, Sep. 2007.
17. Panaitopol, D., J. Fiorina, A. Diet, and N. Ribière-Tharaud, "Design of an UWB antenna and impact of the resulting pulse shape on the communication capacity," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2008, Hong Kong, China, Dec. 16-19, 2008.