The design and manufacture of a circular polarized aperture stacked patch circular microstrip patch antenna (CPASPA) at L-band is presented. The Wilkinson power divider is used to excite the stacked circular patches by two orthogonal $H$-shape slots, which can improve the operation bandwidth and circularly polarized performance. The design is optimized by a series of parametric study of the input impedance for the antenna. The measurements show that the CPASPA has a 3-dB axial ratio (AR) bandwidth of 55.0% and a 10-dB return loss (RL) bandwidth of 47.0%. The measured gain is more than 0 dBic over the bandwidth of 42.5%, in which the maximum is 9.4 dBic. The measurements agree very well with the simulation results.
2. Miller, B., "Satelliate free the mobile phone," IEEE Spectrum, Vol. 35, 26-35, 1998.
3. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design, IEE Press, Stevenage, U.K., 1981.
4. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Boston, 2003.
5. Lin, Y., H. Chen, S. Member, and S. Lin, "A new coupling mechanism for circularly polarized annular-ring patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, 11-16, 2008.
6. Chen, H., Y. Wang, Y. Lin, C. Lin, and S. Pan, "Microstrip-fed circularly polarized square-ring patch antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 2009.
7. Nasimuddin, K. P. E. and A. K. Verma, "Wideband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007.
8. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008.
9. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 353-368, 2008.
10. Karmakar, N. C. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Circularly polarized aperture-coupled circular microstrip patch antennas for L-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, 933-940, 1999.
11. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karmakar, C. L. Law, and S. Aditya, "A dual polarized aperture coupled circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 3295-3298, 2003.
12. Vallecchi, A. and G. B. Gentili, "Design of dual-polarized series-fed microstrip arrays with low losses and high polarization purity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2005.
13. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antenna aperture-coupled to a microstripline," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, 49-50, 1985.
14. Rathi, V., G. Kumar, and K. P. Ray, "Improved coupling for aperture coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, 1196-1198, 1996.
15. Targonski, S. D. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Design of wide-band aperture-stacked patch microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, 1998.
16. Gao, S., L. Li, M. Leong, and T. Yeo, "Wide-band microstrip antenna with an H-shaped coupling aperture," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, 2002.
17. Zhao, F., K. Xiao, W.-J. Feng, S.-L. Chai, and J.-J. Mao, "Design and manufacture of the wide-band aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 37-50, 2009.
18. Qian, Z., T. Liu, and F. Zhao, "Design of wide-band aperture-coupled circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Chinese Journal of Radio Science, Vol. 25, 739-744, 2010.