This paper presents a printed dipole with left-handed loading and electrically small dimensions. Uniform currents are obtained at 750 MHz, proving zero order (i.e. n=0) mode operation. Comparisons are made with other left- and right-handed antennas. Good agreement is achieved between simulation and measurement. The antenna has various applications in RFID systems and wireless environments.
2. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip `LH line' , IEEE-AP-S USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Vol. 2, 412-415, 2002.
3. Oliner, A. A., A periodic-structure negative-refractive-index medium without resonant elements, IEEE-AP-S USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Vol. 2, 41, 2002.
4. Liu, L., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Dominant mode (DM) leaky-wave antenna with backfire-to-endfire scanning capability," Electronic Letters, Vol. 38, No. 23, 1414-1416, 2002.
5. Iizuka, H., P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, "Dipole antenna with left-handed loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 483-485, 2006.
6. Borja, A. L., P. S. Hall, Q. Liu, and H. Iizuka, "Omnidirectional loop antenna with left-handed loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 495-498, 2007.
7. Liu, Q., P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, "Efficiency of electrically small dipole antennas loaded with left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, 3009-3017, 2009.
8. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1163-1175, 1948.
9. Harrington, R. F., "Effect of antenna size on gain, bandwidth, and efficiency," Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards-D. Radio Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 23-27, 1960.
10. Bowick, A., RF Circuit Design, 66-70, Newnes, Burlington, MA, 1982.