A novel wafer-dipole printed antenna fed by balanced micro-strip line is proposed, and the adoption of the balanced micro-strip line can effectively solve the feeding problem of the UWB dipole antenna. The wafer-dipole and a branch of the balanced microstripline are printed on one side of FR-4 substrate (1mm thickness), and the later is connected to a wafer directly, while the other branch is printed on the back side of the substrate and connected the other wafer with a via-hole. The measured results show that the antenna impedance bandwidth is from 3.0 GHz to 15.0 GHz with VSWR < 2, and the ratio bandwidth is about 5:1. Moreover, the antenna size is just 40 mm×20 mm with simple structure, which is well suited for short-distance UWB communications.
2. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2242-2251, 2009.
3. Gayathri, R., T. U. Jisney, D. D. Krishna, M. Gopikrishna, and C. K. Aanandan, "Band-notched inverted-cone monopole antenna for compact UWB systems ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 20, 1170-1171, 2008.
4. Ye, L.-H. and Q.-X. Chu, "Improved band-notched UWB slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 25, 1283-1285, 2009.
5. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, R. Azaro, and A. Massa, "A PSO-driven spline-based shaping approach for ultra wideband (UWB) antenna synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2613-2621, 2008.
6. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
7. Chen, D. and C. H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
8. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified UWB planar monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 112-114, 2008.
9. Simons, R. N., R. Q. Lee, and T. D. Perl, "Non-planar linearly tapered slot antenna with balanced microstrip feed," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 2109-2112, Chicago, 1992.
10. Chuang, H.-R. and L.-C. Kuo, "3-D FDTD design analysis of a 2.4-GHz polarization-diversity printed dipole antenna with integrated balun and polarization-switching circuit for WLAN and wireless communication applications ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 374-381, 2003.
11. Kouzaki, T., K. Kimoto, S. Kubota, A. Toya, N. Sasaki, and T. Kikkawa, "Quasi Yagi-Uda antenna array for detecting targets in a dielectric substrate," IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband, 759-762, Sep. 2009.
12. Wu, Q., R. Jin, J. Geng, and M. Ding, "Compact CPW-fed quasi-circular monopole with very wide bandwidth," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 2, 69-70, 2007.
13. Zhang, J. P., Y. S. Xu, and W. D. Wang, "Ultra-wideband microstrip-fed planar elliptical dipole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 3, 144-145, 2006.
14. Zhu, X.-F. and D.-L. Su, "A study of a compact microstrip-fed UWB antenna with an open T-slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 181-189, 2010.