In this work, the analysis and design of wideband microstrip yagi and bi-yagi antenna arrays with photonic band gap (PBG) is presented. By using the bi-yagi planar array, a high directive gain and a high frontto-back ratio are achieved in comparison with that of the single microstrip yagi structure. The current distribution, the return loss, the radiation pattern, and the input impedance are calculated. For a single yagi, wide bandwidth up to 12.81% at 10.15 GHz is obtained. However, a high directive gain is achieved with the bi-yagi. The PBG structures force the antennas to have stop band at the higher end of the operating band. In addition, it increases the front-to back (F/B) ratio. The finite difference time domain (FDTD) with the perfect matched (PML) and a numerical package based on the method of moment (MOM) are used in the present analysis and design. A closed form based on an approximate equivalent circuit is used to get approximate dimensions of the PBG structures.
2. Misra, I. S. and R. S. Chakrabarty, "Design, analysis and optimization of V-diploe and its three-element Yagi-Uda array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 137-156, 2006.
3. Sun, B. H., S.-G. Zhou, Y.-F. Wei, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Modified two-element Yagi-Uda antenna with tunable beams," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 175-187, 2010.
4. Lee, K. and Y. C. Chung, "High gain Yagi-Uda UHF RFID tag antennas," Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1753-1756, 2007.
5. Amadjikpe, A. L., G. E. Ponchak, and J. Papapolymerou, "High gain Quasi-Yagi planar antenna evaluation in platform material environment for 60 GHz wireless applications ," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2009, MTT'09,, 385-388, 2009.
6. Kramer, O., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Vertically multilayer-stacked Yagi antenna with single and dual polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1022-1030, Apr. 2010.
7. Xiao, F., D. Yan, and Li Sun, "Optimization design of ground plane PBG structure of T-shape microstrip line by improved FGA," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), 1561-1564, 2008.
8. Dahmardeh, M., A. Ghorbani, and A. Abdipour, "Active integrated antenna using photonic bandgap and defected ground structure ," 3rd European Conference on Antenna and Propagation (EuCAP), 3823-3826, 2009.
9. Kuenz, K. S. and R. J. Luebbers, The Finite-difference Time-domain Method for Electromagnetics, CRC Press, London, Tokyo, 1993.
10. Tong, M. S., M. Yang, Y. Chen, and R. Mittra, "Finite difference time-domain analysis of a stacked dual-frequency microstrip planar inverted-F antenna for mobile telephone handset," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 49, 367-376, Mar. 2001.
11. Yu, W., R. Mittra, and S. Chakravarty, "Stability characteristics of absorbing boundary conditions in microwave circuits simulations," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 9, Sep. 2001.
12. Baena, J. D., J. Bnache, F. Martin, R. Marques, F. Falcone, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, J. Garcia-Garcia, I. Gil, M. Flores, and M. Sorolla, "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementry split ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, Apr. 2005.