In this paper, a traveling wave Koch dipole antenna is proposed. The antenna is an amalgamation of traveling wave antennas that require large elctrical lengths and fractal curves that are known for excellent form factor characteristics. The antenna is analyzed using a Mom code. The antenna exhibits an impedance bandwidth that is more than 10:1 for VSWR < 3:1. A comparision of simulated and measured results are presented. The traveling wave fractal antenna has many potential applications in communications and electronics warfare.
2. Puente, C., R. Pous, J. Romeu, X. Gracia, and F. Benitez, "Fractal multiband antenna based on the sierpinski gasket," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 32, No. 1, 1-2, Jan. 1996.
3. Romeu, J. and J. Soler, "Generalized Sierpinski fractal multiband antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 1237-1239, Aug. 2001.
4. Tang, P. W. and P. F. Wahid, "Hexagonal fractal multiband antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, No. 1, 111-112, Dec. 2004.
5. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, and H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, "Multiband multiple ring monoole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 722-729, Apr. 2003.
6. Werner, D. H., R. L. Haupt, and P. L. Werner, "Fractal antenna engineering: The theory and design of fractal antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 41, No. 5, 37-58, Oct. 1999.
7. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas: A review," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 2, 1620-1635, Edited by Professor Kai Chang, Wiley, 2005.
8. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, Feb. 2002.
9. Anguera, J., E. Martínez, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Broadband dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna with modified Sierpinski fractal geometry," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 1, 66-73, Jan. 2004.
10. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, R. Montero, and J. Soler, "Small and high directivity bowtie patch antenna based on the Sierpinski fractal," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, No. 3, 239-241, Nov. 2001.
11. Anguera, J., C. Puente, E. Martínez, and E. Rozan, "The fractal Hilbert monopole: A two-dimensional wire," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 2, 102-104, Jan. 2003.
12. Yeo, U. B., J. N. Lee, J. K. Park, H. S. Lee, and H. S. Kim, "An ultra-wideband antenna design using sierpinski sieve fractal," Journal of Electromagnetics Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 12, 1713-1723, 2008.
13. Aggarwal, A. and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Pythagoras tree: A fractal patch antenna for multi frequency and ultra-wide bandwidth operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 25-35, 2010.
14. Azari, A. and J. Row, "Ultrawide band fractal microstrip antenna design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 7-12, 2008.
15. Saidatul, N. A., A. A. H. Azremi, R. B. Ahmad, J. P. Soh, and F. Malek, "Multiband fractal planar inverted F-antenna for mobile phone applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 127-148, 2009.
16. Salmasy, M. P., F. Hojat Kasmani, and M. N. Azarmanesh, "A novel broadband fractal Sierpinski shaped microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 179-190, 2008.
17. Kazim, M. N. A., M. K. A. Rahim, H. A. Majid, O. B. Ayop, M. Abu, and F. Zubir, "Log periodic fractal koch antenna for UHF band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 201-218, 2010.
18. Lamecki, A. and P. Debicki, "Broadband properties of a Minkowski fractal curve antenna," 14th International Conference on Microwaves, Radar and Wireless Communications, Vol. 3, 785-788, May 2002.
19. Song, C. T. P., P. S. Hall, H. Ghafouri-Shiraz, and D. Wake, "Fractal stacked monopole with very wide bandwidth," IEE Elecronics Letters, Vol. 35, No. 12, 945-946, 1999.
20. Vinoy, K. J., K. A. Jose, and V. K. Varadan, "On the relationship between fractal dimension and the performance of multi-resonant dipole antennas using Koch curves," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, Sep. 2003.
21. Altschuler, E. E., "The traveling wave linear antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 4, 324-329, 1961.