A miniaturized microstrip-fed antenna composed of a broadside coupled split ring resonator and an excitation arc-shaped monopole is presented. Numerical and experimental results are presented for an antenna configuration of 1/25 wavelength in diameter (ka~0.126). The antenna size including the ground plane is 60×38.5 mm2 and it is operating at 200 MHz. Its resonant frequency can be tuned over a good range of frequency without changing the antenna size, which can increase its usable bandwidth using reconfigurable antenna techniques.
2. Lo, T. K., C.-O. Ho, Y. Hwang, E. K. W. Lam, and B. Lee, "Miniature aperture-coupled microstrip antenna of very high permittivity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 1, 9-10, 1997.
3. Lee, B. and F. J. Harackiewicz, "Miniature microstrip antenna with a partially filled high-permittivity substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 8, 1160-1162, 2002.
4. Kula, J. S., D. Psychoudakis, W.-J. Liao, C.-C. Chen, J. L. Volakis, and J. W. Halloran, "Patch-antenna miniaturization using recently available ceramic substrates," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 48, No. 6, 13-20, 2006.
5. Kim, J.-S., W.-K. Choi, and G.-Y. Choi, "Small proximity coupled ceramic patch antenna for UHF RFID tag mountable on metallic objects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 129-138, 2008.
6. Ruvio, G. and M. J. Ammann, "A novel wideband semi-planar miniaturized antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 10, 2679-2685, 2007.
7. Ko, C.-H., M.-J. Chiang, and J.-Y. Sze, "Miniaturized planar annular slot antenna design utilizing shorting conducting strip," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1360-1363, 2009.
8. Mak, C. L., R. Chair, K. F. Lee, K. M. Luk, and A. A. Kishk, "Half U-slot patch antenna with shorting wall," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 25, 1779-1780, 2003.
9. Chiu, C. Y., C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Small wideband patch antenna with double shorting walls," 2004 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 3844-3847, 2004.
10. Sharma, S. K. and L. Shafai, "Investigations on miniaturized endfire vertically polarized quasi-fractal log-periodic zigzag antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1957-1962, 2004.
11. Sarabandi, K. and R. Azadegan, "Design of an efficient miniaturized UHF planar antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1270-1276, 2003.
12. Abbosh, A. M., "Miniaturized microstrip-fed tapered-slot antenna with ultrawideband performance," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 690-692, 2009.
13. Hong, W. and K. Sarabandi, "Low profile miniaturized planar antenna with omnidirectional vertically polarized radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1533-1540, 2008.
14. Huang, J.-T., J.-H. Shiao, and J.-M. Wu, "A miniaturized hilbert inverted-F antenna for wireless sensor network applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 9, 3100-3103, 2010.
15. Yousefi, L. and O. M. Ramahi, "Miniaturised antennas using artificial magnetic materials with fractal hilbert inclusions," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 12, 816-817, 2010.
16. Azaro, R., Viani, L. Lizzi, E. Zeni, and A. Massa, "A monopolar quad-band antenna based on a hilbert self-affine prefractal geometry," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 177-180, 2009.
17. Volakis, J., C. C. Chen, and K. Fujimoto, Small Antennas - Miniaturization Techniques and Applications, McGraw Hill, 2010.
18. Chen, P. Y. and A. Alu, "Dual-mode miniaturized elliptical patch antenna with mu-negative metamaterials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 351-354, 2010.
19. Li, M., X. Q. Lin, J. Y. Chin, R. Liu, and T. J. Cui, "A novel miniaturized printed planar antenna using split-ring resonator," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 629-631, 2008.
20. Kim, O. S. and O. Breinbjerg, "Miniaturized self-resonant split-ring resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 4, 196-197, 2009.
21. HFSS, , High Frequency Structure Simulator Based on the Finite Element Method, Ver. 12, Ansoft Corp., 2008.
22. Marques, R., F. Mesa, J. Martel, and F. Medina, "Comparitive analysis of edge and broadside-coupled split ring resonators for metamaterial design - Theory and experiments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2572-2581, 2010.
23. Polka, M. and A. Holub, "Electrically small loop antenna surrounded by a ''shell" of concentric split loops," 2010 Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-3, 2010.
24. Holub, A. and M. Polivka, "Electrically small loop surrounded by a ''shell" of concentric split rings: Principle and properties," 2010 15th International Conference on Microwave Techniques (COMITE), 27-30, 2010.
25. Attia, H., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Artificial magneto-superstrates for gain and efficency improvement of microstrip antenna arrays," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 6, 555-558, 2010.