A single feed compact rectangular microstrip antenna is presented in this paper. A triangular slot is introduced at the upper edge of the patch to reduce the resonant frequency. A small piece of triangular patch is grown within the triangular slot to improve the gain bandwidth performance of the antenna. The antenna size has been reduced by 46.2% when compared to a conventional square microstrip patch antenna with a maximum of 160 MHz bandwidth and -27.36 dB return loss. The characteristics of the designed structure are investigated by using MoM based electromagnetic solver, IE3D. An extensive analysis of the return loss, radiation pattern, gain and efficiency of the proposed antenna is presented. The simple configuration and low profile nature of the proposed antenna leads to easy fabrication and make it suitable for the applications in Wireless communication system. Mainly it is developed to operate in the WiMax frequency range of 3.2--3.8 GHz.
2. Raj, R. K., M. Joseph, C. K. Anandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohanan, "A new compact microstrip-fed dual-band coplaner antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 12, 3755-3762, December 2006.
3. Zhang, Z., M. F. Iskander, J.-C. Langer, and J. Mathews, "Dual-band WLAN dipole antenna using an internal matching circuit," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 5, 1813-1818, May 2005.
4. Sarkar, I., P. P. Sarkar, and S. K. Chowdhury, "A new compact printed antenna for mobile communication," 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, Loughborough, UK, November 16-17, 2009.
5. Jan, J.-Y. and L.-C. Tseng, "Small planar monopole antenna with a shorted parasitic inverted-L wire for wireless communications in the 2.4, 5.2 and 5.8 GHz bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 7, 1903-1905, July 2004.
6. Danideh, A., R. S. Fakhr, and H. R. Hassani, "Wideband co-planar microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 4, 81-89, 2008.
7. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
8. Hammerstad, E. O., "Equations for microstrip circuit design," Proc. Fifth European Microwave Conf., 268-272, September 1975.
9. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetic, John Wiley & Sons., New York, 1989.
10. Zeland Software Inc., IE3D: MOM-Based EM Simulator, Web: http://www.zeland.com.