In order to use power splitter for communication and real world applications (e.g., telephony performances, antenna designs, wireless communications, digital communications, optical communications, CATV transmission systems, airborne systems), studying the nature and characteristics of the splitter is important. The purpose of this paper is to review and discuss various techniques aimed to develop the power splitters component and remove its interference. This paper further focuses on the review of future implementation techniques and performance comparison along with their applications. Some of the applications are illustrated at the end of the paper, and recommendation for further study is also outlined. This review serves as a comparative studies and reference beneficial for power splitter researchers and for future implementation of the technology. This review paper opens a corridor for researchers to perform future comparative studies between different architectures and models as a reference point for developing more powerful, flexible and efficient applications.
2. WJ Communications Inc., "A compact RFID reader platform for UHF and microwave applications," Microwave Journal, Vol. 47, No. 4, 1-4, Apr. 2004.
3. Parad, L. I. and R. L. Moynihan, "Split-tee power divider," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 13, No. 1, 91-95, Jan. 1965.
4. Cohn, S. B., "A class of broadband three-port TEM-mode hybrids," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 19, No. 2, 110-116, Feb. 1968.
5. Gysel, U. H., "A new N-way power divider/combiner suitable for high-power applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 75, No. 1, 116-118, May 1975.
6. Webb, C. R., "Power divider/combiners: Small size, big specs," Microwaves, 67-74, Nov. 1981.
7. Ito, Y., "Distributed and lossy match active power splitters using bridgedCT low-pass filter networks," IEEE MTT-S International on Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 3, 1089-1092, May 1990.
8. Kamitsuna, H. and H. Ogawa, "Ultra-wideband MMIC active power splitters with arbitrary phase relationships," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1519-1523, Sep. 1993.
9. Nagi, H. S., "Miniature lumped element 180°a Wilkinson divider," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 55-58, Jun. 2003.
10. Esper-Chain, R., F. Tobajas, O. Tubio, R. Arteaga, V. de Armas, and R. Sarmiento, "A gigabit multidrop serial backplane for high-speed digital systems based on asymmetrical power splitter," IEEE Transaction on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, Vol. 52, No. 1, 5-9, Jan. 2005.
11. Mao, S. G. and Y. Z. Chueh, "Broadband composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide power splitters with arbitrary phase responses and balun and antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 243-250, Jan. 2006.
12. Lee, S. Y. and C. C. Lai, "A 1-V wideband low-power CMOS active differential power splitter for wireless communication," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 1593-1600, Aug. 2007.
13. Wang, Y. X., H. Q. Hu, and J. Xu, "A new broadband miniature RF power splitter," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturiz, Vol. 1, 180-182, Dec. 2008.
14. Ponchak, G. E., A. Bacon, and J. Papapolymerou, "Monolithic wilkinson power divider on CMOS grade silicon with a polyimide interface layer for antenna distribution networks," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, 167-169, Aug. 2003.
15. Campbell, R., C. Microtech, and T. White, "Monolithic GaAs passive lowpass 3 dB in-phase splitter/combiner," High Frequency Design GaAs Splitter/Combiner, Jul. 2004.
16. Kim, D. I., S. W. Jung, and Y. Yun, "A high performance transformer-type Wilkinson power splitter with compensatingcircuit for CATV transmission system and its optimal design method," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol. 50, No. 3, 934-940, Aug. 2004.
17. Chen, A. Y. K., H. B. Liang, Y. Baeyens, Y. K. Chen, J. Lin, and Y. S. Lin, "Wideband mixed lumped-distributed-element 90°and 180°power splitters on silicon substrate for millimeterwave applications," IEEE Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium, 449-452, Jun. 2008.
18. Do, M. A., W. M. Lim, J. G. Ma, and K. S. Yeo, "Design of a phase splitter for 3rd ISM band," IEEE Conference on Electron Devices and Solid-States Circuits, 237-240, Dec. 2003.
19. Lou, Y., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A broadband waveguide-tomicrostrip transition/power splitter using finline arrays," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 31312, Apr. 2007.
20. Chu, Q.-X. and R. Dong, "A novel multi-channel spatial power splitter," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1-3, Apr. 2007.
21. Tseng, C.-H. and C.-L. Chang, "A broadband quadrature power splitter using metamaterial transmission line," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 1, 25-27, Jan. 2008.
22. De Melo, M T., B. G. M. de Oliveira, L. L. D. Cabral, and E. J. P. Santos, "Coplanar power splitter analysis for the miniaturization of instantaneous frequency measurement subsystems," International Conference on Microwave and Telecommunication Technology, 449-451, Sep. 2001.
23. Baree, A. H. and I. D. Robertson, "Monolithic MESFET distributed baluns based on the distributed amplifier gateline termination technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 2, 188-195, Feb. 1997.
24. Lin, J., C. Zelley, O. Boric-Lubecke, P. Gould, and R. Yan, "A silicon MMIC active balun/buffer amplifier with high linearity and low residual phase noise," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques Digest, 1289-1292, 2000.
25. Viallon, C., D. Venturin, J. Graffeuil, and T. Parra, "Design of an original k-band active balun with improved broadband balanced behavior," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 5, No. 4, 280-282, Apr. 2005.
26. Kuylenstierna, D., S. E. Gunnarsson, and H. Zirath, "Lumpedelement quadrature power splitters using mixed right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 8, 2616-2621, Aug. 2005.
27. Yhland, K. and J. Stenarson, "Measurement uncertainty in power splitter effective source match," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 56, No. 2, 669-672, Apr. 2007.
28. Cook, J. and P. Sheppard, "ADSL and VADSL splitter design and telephony performance," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 13, No. 9, 1634-1641, Dec. 1995.
29. Rasmussen, T., J. K. Rasmussen, and J. H. Povlsen, "Design and performance evaluation of 1-by-64 multimode interference power splitter for optical communications," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 13, No. 10, 2069-2074, Oct. 1995.
doi: --- Either ISSN or Journal title must be supplied.