This paper presents a novel third-order cross-coupled rectangular cavity filter by using standard low-temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology, in which the multilayer substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) is implemented. Particularly, the desired filter has a single finite frequency attenuation pole at j4.0 with asymmetrical frequency selectivity. An experimental band pass filter (BPF) has been fabricated and measured. The insertion loss of the filter is better than 4.2 dB, and the 1 dB bandwidth is about 1 GHz at the center frequency 35.8 GHz. Good agreement is obtained between the simulated and measured S-parameters of the proposed filter. This filter can be used in millimeter wave secondary surveillance radars.
2. Tang, H. J., W. Hong, J. X. Chen, G. Q. Luo, and K. Wu, "Development of millimeter-wave planar diplexers based on complementary characters of dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filters with circular and elliptic cavities," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 4, 776-782, Apr. 2007.
3. Lee, J. H., S. Pinel, J. Papapolymerou, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Low-loss LTCC cavity filters using system-on-package technology at 60 GHz," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3817-3823, Dec. 2005.
4. Chen, C.-J. and T.-H. Chu, "Design of a 60-GHz substrate integrated waveguide butler matrix - A systematic approach," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 7, 1724-1733, Jul. 2010.
5. Shen, T. M., C. F. Chen, T. Y. Huang, and R. B. Wu, "Design of vertically stacked waveguide filters in LTCC," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 8, 1771-1779, Mar. 2007.
6. Potelon, B., et al., "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter using a novel topology of coupling," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 596-598, Jul. 2008.
7. Tang, H. J., W. Hong, Z. C. Hao, J. X. Chen, and K. Wu, "Optimal design of compact millimeter-wave SIW circular cavity filters," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 19, 1068-1069, Dec. 2005.
8. Williams, A. E., "A four-cavity elliptic waveguide filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 18, No. 12, 90-93, Dec. 1970.
9. Wei, Q.-F., Z.-F. Li, L.-S. Wu, W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, and L. Li, "Compact cross-coupled circular cavity filters using multilayer substrate integrated waveguide," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 6, Mar. 2009.
10. Chen, X.-P. and K. Wu, "Substrate integrated waveguide cross-coupled filter with negative coupling structure," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 1, 142-149, Jan. 2008.
11. Hong, J. S. and . J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Chap. 8, 235-272, Wiley, New York, USA, 2001.
12. Amari, S., "Synthesis of cross-coupled resonator filters using an analytical gradient-based optimization technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 9, 1559-1564, Feb. 2000.
13. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide ," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 2, 333-335, Feb. 2002.
14. Wang, Z., P. Li, R.-M. Xu, and W. Lin, "A compact X-band receiver front-end module based on low temperature cofired ceramic technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 167-180, 2009.
15. Wang, Z., X. Zeng, B. Yan, R. Xu, and W. Lin, "A millimeter-wave E-plane band-pass filter using multilayer low temperature co-fired ceramic (LTCC) technology," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 1, 71-79, 2010.
16. Adabi, A. and M. Tayarani, "Substrate integration of dual inductive post waveguide filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 7, 321-329, 2008.
17. Lin, W.-J., C.-S. Chang, J.-Y. Li, D.-B. Lin, L.-S. Chen, and M.-P. Houng, "A new approach of dual-band filters by stepped impedance simplified cascaded quadruplet resonators with slot coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 19-28, 2009.