With the advent of DVB-T in most European countries, the European Union has decided to end all analogue television broadcasts in its member countries until 2012. This analogue switch-off, as well as the increased spectral efficiency of the DVB-T protocol will create a surplus of spectrum in the UHF band, part of which is to be used by mobile communications systems. In order for this "digital dividend" to be shared efficiently, the coexistence and interference parameters between DVB-T and other services (designated as IMT-Advanced by the International Telecommunications Union) have to be studied. In this paper a generic 5 MHz interfering signal is broadcasted in close proximity to a stationary DVB-T receiver. Various DVB-T parameters are then measured and analyzed for different frequency values and power levels of the interfering signal.
2. Commission of the European Communities, "Communication from the Commission to the Council, the European Parliament, the European Economic, and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions on accelerating the transition from analogue to digital broadcasting," Brussels, 2005.
3. RSPG07-161, RSPG opinion on EU spectrum policy implications of the digital dividend, 2007.
4. Bertocco, M., M. Farias, D. Fortin, and A. Sona, "Cross-layer measurement for the analysis of a DVB-T system performances at the end user level ," Proc. of IMTC 2006 --- Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference, Sorrento, Italy, Apr. 24-27, 2006.
5., Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Implementation guidelines for DVB terrestrial services; Transmission aspects. ETSI Technical Report 101 190 V1.2.1, 2004.
6., Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB); Framing structure, channel coding and modulation for digital terrestrial television. ETSI European Standard (Telecommunication series) 300 744 V1.6.1 2008-09.
7. 3GPP, Spreading and Modulation (FDD), ETSI TS 125 213 V9.1.0 (2010-01).
8., "Probability Distributions Relevant to Radiowave Propagation Modeling," ITU-R P. 1057, 1994.
9. Bertocco, M., M. Farias, D. Fortin, and A. Sona, "Cross-layer measurement for the analysis of DVB-T system performance," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 2008.
10. Wolf, S. and M. Pinson, Video quality measurement techniques, US Department of Commerce, National Telecommunications and Information Administration Report, 02-932.
11. Angrisani, L., M. Farias, D. Fortin, and A. Sona, Performance assessment and optimization of DVB-T systems affected by in-channel interference, IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Warsaw, Poland, May 1-3, 2007.
12. Martinez, A., et al., "Analysis of the DVB-T signal variation for indoor portable reception," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 2009.
13. ITU-R The ESR5 criterion for the assessment of DVB-T transmission quality, ITU-R, Document 6E/64-E, Apr. 2004.
14. Planning criteria for digital terrestrial television services in the VHF/UHF bands , Rec. ITU-R BT 1368, ITU-R P. 1057, 2003.
15. CEPT-ECC Report from CEPT to the European Commission in response to the Mandate on the identification of common and minimal (least restrictive) technical conditions for 790-862MHz for the digital dividend in the European Union, CEPT Report 30, Oct. 2009.
16. CEPT-ECC, "Report from CEPT to the European Commission in response to the Mandate on technical considerations regarding harmonisation options for the digital dividend in the European Union," CEPT Report 31, Oct. 2009.
17. ITU-R, "ITU global standard for international mobile telecommunications `IMT-advanced' ,", 2010.
18. Bendov, O., "Limits on fixed broadband devices for interference-free operation in the DTV spectrum ," IEEE Transactions on Broadcasting, 2007.
19. Setiawan, D., D. Gunawan, and D. Sirat, "Interference analysis of guard band and geographical separation between DVB-T and E-UTRA in digital dividend UHF band," International Conference on Instrumentation, Communications, Information Technology, and Biomedical Engineering (ICICI-BME), 1-6, 2009.