The possibility of using non-Foster circuit to expand the bandwidth of a monopole antenna is investigated theoretically. Beginning with an inductor-loaded monopole antenna resonating at different frequencies by changing the value of the loaded inductor, we show that a frequency-dependent inductor is needed to enhance the bandwidth of the monopole antenna. The curve for the reactance of the frequency-dependent inductor versus frequency is fitted, which enlightens us to use a non-Foster reactive circuit to realize the frequency-dependent inductor. Based on the above studies, a monople antenna loaded with a non-Foster circuit is presented. Simulated results demonstrate that the input reactance of the loaded antenna becomes stable and approaches zero, which favors the impedance matching and extends the bandwidth to a certain extent. Finally, a passive (Foster) matching circuit is designed to improve the bandwidth further. A 0.69-m monopole antenna with 2.0:1 VSWR in the frequency range 30--150 MHz is designed and investigated.
2. Boag, A., A. Boag, E. Michielssen, and R. Mittra, "Design of electrically loaded wire antenna using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 5, 687-695, May 1996.
3. Czerwinski, W. P., "On optimizing efficiency and bandwidth of inductively loaded antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 811-812, September 1965.
4. Chu, L. J., "Physical limitations of omni-directional antennas," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 19, 1163-1175, 1948.
5. Sussman-Fort, S. E. and R. M. Rudish, "Non-Foster impedance matching of electrically-small antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 8, 2230-2241, August 2009.
6. Aberle, J. T., "Two-port representation of an antenna with application to non-Foster matching networks," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1218-1222, May 2008.
7. Ziolkowski, R. W., "An efficient, electrically small antenna designed for VHF and UHF applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., 217-220, 2008.
8. Pomerleau, A. and M. Fournier, Inductively loaded monopole, IEEE-GAP Symposium Digest, 81-84, 1972.
9. Linvill, J. G., Transistor negative impedance converters, Proc. IRE, Vol. 41, 725-729, June 1953.
10. Brownlie, J. D., "On the stability properties of a negative impedance converter," IEEE Trans. Circuit Theory, Vol. 13, No. 1, 98-99, March 1966.
11. Hoskins, R. F., "Stability of negative impedance converters," Electron. Lett., Vol. 2, No. 9, 341, September 1966.
12. Sussman-Fort, S. E., "Gyrator-based biquad filters and negative impedance converters for microwaves," Int. J. RF and Microw. Comput.-Aided Engi., (Special Issue on Netw. Synthesis Method. Microw. De.), Vol. 8, No. 3, 86-101, March 1998.