A compact wide-slot antenna fed by microstrip-line for wideband operation is proposed and studied. The proposed antenna consists of a microstrip-fed line and a wide rectangular slot with a reverse L-shaped slot. The proposed antenna resonates the 10-dB bandwidth from 2.17 GHz to 6.25 GHz, and these frequency bands cover the standard IEEE 802.11b/g (2.4--2.485 GHz) and IEEE 802.11a (5.15--5.35 GHz, 5.725--5.875 GHz) for WLAN applications and 2.5 GHz (2.5--2.69 GHz), 3.5 GHz (3.3--3.8 GHz) and 5GHz (5.25--5.85 GHz) for WiMAX applications. In order to remove unwanted bands, we used two methods to reject the bands. By inserting a strip in the slot of the broadband antenna, a reject frequency band from 4.13 to 4.95 GHz can be obtained; by etching a U-slot on the the broadband antenna, a reject frequency band from 2.96 to 3.17 GHz can be achieved. The slot antenna with dual band-notched for WiMAX operation has been obtained. Detailed design and experimental results are shown and discussed in this paper.
2. Chiou, J. Y., J. Y. Sze, and K. L. Wong, "A broad-band CPW-fed strip-loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, 719-721, April 2003.
3. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A broadband CPW-fed T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
4. Saed, M. A., "Broadband CPW-fed planar slot antennas with various tuning stubs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 199-212, 2006.
5. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K.-F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultra wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
6. Chen, W. S. and B. H. Kao, "A triple-band polygonal slot antenna for WiMAX applications," Microwave Journal, Vol. 50, 134-143, January 2007.
7. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 53, 2111-2114, June 2005.
8. Jan, J. Y. and J. C. Kao, "Novel printed wide-band rhombus-like slot antenna with an offset microstrip-fed line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 6, 249-251, 2007.
9. Kalteh, A.-A., R. Fallahi, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel microstrip-fed UWB circular slot antenna with 5-GHz band-notch characteristics," IEEE ICUWB, 117-120, September 2008.
10. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
11. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Gharakhili, and G. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
12. Chen, W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Band-rejected design of the printed open slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, 1163-1169, April 2008.
13. Li, C. S. and C. W. Chiu, "A CPW-fed band-notched slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE APS 2008, 1-4, July 2008.