A wide band, integrated linear printed antenna array with low sidelobe cosecant square-shaped beam pattern is presented. Array synthesis mainly about the wide shaped coverage, low ripple and sidelobe level (SLL) has been done using the modified least square method by matrix inversion. A printed dipole integrated with wideband balun has been chosen as the array element for wide bandwidth and good integration with the feeding network. Simulated results have shown good agreement with the measured asured results of the antenna array, which has a VSWR≤1.3 bandwidth 15% and good pattern with cosecant square-shaped region beyond 30°and SLL≤−27 dB in L-band.
2. Woodward, P. M. and J. D. Lawsonb, "The theoretical precision with which an arbitrary radiation pattern may be obtained from a source of a finite size," J. IEE, Part H, Vol. 95, 363-370, Section 3, 1948.
3. Orchard, H. J., R. S. Elliott, and G. J. Stern, "Optimizing the synthesis of shaped beam antenna patterns," Proc. IEE, Vol. 132H, 63-68, Feb. 1985.
4. Ares Pena, F. J., J. A. Rodríguez-Gonzalez, E. Villanueva-Lopez, and S. R. Rengarajan, "Genetic algorithms in the design and optimization of antenna array patterns," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 506-510, Mar. 1999.
5. Mahanti, G. K. and A. Chakrabarty, "Phase-only and amplitude-phase synthesis of dual-pattern linear antenna arrays using floating-point genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 247-259, 2007.
6. Rodríguez, J. A., L. Landesa, J. L. Rodríguez Obelleiro, F. Obelleiro, F. Ares, and A. García-Pino, "Pattern synthesis of array antennas with arbitrary elements by simulated annealing and adaptive array theory," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 1, 48-50, Jan. 1999.
7. Boeringer, D. W. and D. H.Werner, "Particle swarm optimization versus genetic algorithms for phased array synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 771-779, Mar. 2004.
8. Donelli, M., S. Caorsi, F. De Natale, M. Pastorino, and A. Massa, "Linear antenna synthesis with a hybrid genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 1-22, 2004.
9. Perez, J. R. and J. Basterrechea, "Hybrid particle swarm-based algorithms and their application to linear array synthesis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 63-74, 2009.
10. Vaskelainen, L., "Iterative least-squares synthesis methods for conformal array antennas with optimized polarization and frequency properties," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, 1179-1185, Jul. 1999.
11. Vaskelainen, L., "Constrained least-squares optimization in conformal array antenna synthesis," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 859-867, Mar. 2007.
12. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Projection matrix method for shaped beam synthesis in phased arrays and reflectors," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 675-683, Mar. 2007.
13. Eward, B. and D. Rees, "A broadband printed dipole with integrated balun," Microwave Journal, Vol. 5, 339-344, 1987.
14. Kedar, A., P. N. S. Kutiyal, M. Garg, and U. K. Revankar, "Wide band low profile linear microstrip antenna array with cosecant square-shaped beam pattern," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 4, 964-965, Apr. 2007.