This article describes the design and performances of a rectenna that collects low incident power density levels, at a single ISM-band frequency (f0=2.45 GHz). A new rectenna topology consisting only of an antenna, a matching circuit, a Schottky diode, and a DC filter has been modeled using a global simulation. A circular aperture coupled patch antenna is proposed to suppress the first filter in the rectenna device, and in addition, the losses associated with this filter. The harmonics rejection of the antenna is primarily used to reduce the rectenna size. The implementation of the filter in the antenna structure, combined with a reduction of the rectenna size, gives several advantages in several applications where the size and weight are critical criteria. The maximum energy conversion efficiency in this configuration is 34% and is reached for a load of 9.2 kΩ and a RF collected power of SRF=17μW/cm2(≈-10 dBm RF incident upon the diode).
2. Vecchio, A., "Adaptability in wireless sensor networks," Proceeding of the 15th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, 2008.
3. Weinstein, R., "RFID: A technical overview and its application to the enterprise," IT Professional, Vol. 7, No. 3, 27-33, May--June 2005.
4. McSpadden, J. O. and K. Chang, "A dual polaried circular patch rectifying antenna at 2.45 GHz for microwave power conversion and detection," IEEE MTT-S, Microwave Symp., Dig., 1994.
5. Ren, Y. J. and K. Chang, "5.8 GHz circular polarized dual-diode rectenna and rectenna array for microwave power transmission," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1495-1502, April 2006.
6. Hagerty, J. A., F. B. Helmbrecht, W. H. McCalpin, R. Zane, and Z. B. Popovic, "Recycling ambient microwave energy with broad-band rectenna arrays," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 3, 1014-1024, March 2004.
7. Akkermans, J. A. G., M. C. van Beurden, G. J. N. Doodeman, and H. J. Visser, "Analytical models for low-power rectenna design," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 187-190, 2005.
8. Park, J. Y., S. M. Han, and T. Itoh, "A rectenna design with harmonic rejecting circular-sector antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 5254, 2004.
9. Gao, Y.-Y., X.-X. Yang, C. Jiang, and J.-Y. Zhou, "A circular polarized rectenna with low profile for wireless power transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 41-49, 2010.
10. Douyere, A., F. Alicalapa, and J.-D. Lan Sun Luk, "High efficiency microwave rectenna circuit: Modeling and design," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, 1409-1410, 2008.
11. Itoh, K., T. Ohgane, and Y. Ogawa, "Rectenna composed of a circular microstrip antenna," Proceeding of ISAP'85, Vol. 6, No. 3, 193-198, 1986.
12. Riviere, S., A. Douyere, F. Alicalapa, and J.-D. Lan Sun Luk, "Study of complete WPT system for WSN applications at low power level," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 8, 597-598, April 2010.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.