A bidirectional directly modulated cable passive optical network (PON) based on a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier (RSOA) as a colorless modulator in the optical network unit (ONU) is proposed and demonstrated. Good performances of downstream carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR)/composite second-order (CSO)/composite triple beat (CTB) and upstream bit error rate (BER) were achieved over a 40-km single-mode fiber (SMF) transmission. This proposed directly modulated cable PON is simpler and cost lower than the externally modulated one.
2. Lu, H.-H., C.-Y. Li, C.-H. Lee, Y.-C. Hsiao, and H.-W. Chen, "Radio-over-fiber transport systems based on DFB LD with main and --- 1 side modes injection-locked techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 25-33, 2009.
3. Davies, B. and J. Conrad, "Hybrid modulator structure for subcarrier and harmonic subcarrier optical single sideband," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 10, 600-602, 1998.
4. Lee, U. S., H. D. Jung, and S. K. Han, "Optical single sideband signal generation using phase modulation of semiconductor optical amplifier," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 16, 1373-1375, 2004.
5. Cho, K. Y., Y. J. Lee, H. Y. Choi, A. Murakami, A. Agata, Y. Takushima, and Y. C. Chung, "Effects of reflection in RSOA-based WDM PON utilizing remodulation technique," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 27, 1286-1295, 2009.
6. Kwon, H. C., Y. Y. Won, and S. K. Han, "Bidirectional SCM transmission using a noise-suppressed Fabry-Perot laser diode and a reflective semiconductor optical amplifier in a WDM/SCM-PON link," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 19, 858-860, 2007.
7. Lucke, B., G. Hergenhan, U. Brauch, and A. Giesen, "Phase tuning of injection-locked VCSELs," IEEE Photon. Technol. Lett., Vol. 13, 100-102, 2001.
8. Yabre, G., "Effect of relatively strong light injection on the chirp-to-power ratio and the 3 dB bandwidth of directly modulated semiconductor lasers," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 14, 2367-2373, 1996.