Vibrations and noise in electrical machines are directly related to the characteristics of the radial forces on one hand, and mechanical behavior on the other. The characteristics of these forces depend on the air gap flux density, and they are influenced by other factors such as stator slots and poles, saturation level, winding type and certain faults. The aim of this work is to investigate the effect of eccentricity faults on electromagnetic noise generated by the external surface of PM synchronous machine (PMSM). For this purpose an analytical electromagnetic vibroacoustic model is developed. The results confirm the effect of eccentricity fault in generating some low modes radial forces. An experimental device is installed to validate the results of the analytical model.
2. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Electromagnetic noise radiated by brushless permanent magnet DC drives," 6th IEMDC International Conference on Electrical Machines and Drives, Oxford, UK, September 1993.
3. Gereis, G. F., C. Wang, J. C. Lai, and N. Ertugrul, "Analytical prediction of noise of magnetic origin produced by permanent magnet brushless motors," Electrical Machines and Drives Conference IEMDC, Antalya, Turkish, 2007.
4. Wang, S., M. Aydin, and T. A. Lipo, "Electromagnetic vibration and noise assessment for surface mounted PM machines," IEEE Power Engineering Society Summer Meeting, Vancouver, Canada, 2001.
5. Rajagopolan, S., Detection of rotor and load faults in brushless DC motors operating under stationary and non-stationary conditions, Ph.D. dissertation, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Georgia, USA, 2006.
6. Wang, X., Q. Li, S. Wang, and Q. Li, "Analytical calculation of air gap magnetic field distribution and instantaneous characteristics of brushless DC motors," IEEE Transaction on Energy Conversion, Vol. 18, 425-432, 2003.
7. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Instantaneous magnetic field distribution in PM brushless DC motors, Part IV: Magnetic field on load," IEEE Transaction on Magnetics, Vol. 29, No. 1, January 1993.
8. Maliti, K. C., Modelling and analysis of magnetic noise in squirrel cage induction motors, Doctoral dissertation, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, 2000.
9. Zhu, Z. Q. and D. Howe, "Improved methods for prediction of electromagnetic noise radiated by electrical machines," IEE Proc. of the Electric Power Applications, Vol. 141, 1109-1120, 1994.
10. Norton, M. P. and D. G. Karczub, Fundamentals of Noise and Vibration Analysis for Engineers, Cambridge, 2003.