This paper presents the design procedure and implementation of an innovative compact bandpass filter in UHF band by using Composite Right/Left Handed Transmission Line (CRLH-TL) by using parasitic effects of these structures. The CRLH-TL is utilized in order to minimize the overall size of component and reject higher ordered harmonics. The metamaterial transmission line is about one-eighth of a wavelength long and acts as both resonator and inverter which provide capacitive coupling between neighboring sections. To show the validity of design procedure, two prototype bandpass filters were fabricated and tested. We have shown that very good agreement exists between simulation results and those obtained by measurement.
2. Shaik, G., H. Schenkel, J. Detlefsen, and G. Fischer, "Composite right/left handed metamaterial structures for RF narrow bandpass filter design," IEEE 2008 International Workshop on Metamaterials, 291-296, Nov. 2008.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2005.
4. Gil, M., J. Bonache, J. Selga, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "High-pass filters implemented by composite right/left handed (CRLH) transmission lines based on complementary split rings resonators (CSRRs)," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2007.
5. Zhu, L., V. K. Devabhaktuni, and C. Wang, "CAD of left-handed transmission line bandpass filters," PIERS Online, Vol. 3, No. 1, 2007.
6. Luo, M., Z. Xu, Z. Chen, H. Nie, and L. Yu, "A novel ultra-wideband (UWB) bandpass filter using MIM CRLH transmission line structure," 8th International Symposium on Antennas, Propagation and EM Theory, 690-693, 2008.
7. Zhu, L. and K. Wu, "Accurate circuit model of interdigital capacitor and its application to design of new quasi-lumped miniaturized filters with suppression of harmonic resonance," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 3, Mar. 2000.
8. Lin, I., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "A branch line coupler with two arbitrary operating frequencies using left-handed transmission lines," Proc. IEEE MTT-S Int. Symp., 325-327, Philadelphia, PA, Jun. 2003.
9. Kahng, S. and J. Ju, "Realized metamaterial CRLH bandpass filter for UHF-band WLAN with harmonics suppressed," 2008 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on Art of Miniaturizing RF and Microwave Passive Components, 98-101, 2008.
10. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Design of a dual-band metamaterial band-pass filter using zeroth order resonance," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 149-162, 2010.
11. Matthaei, G. L. and L. Young, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, 1980.