In this paper a new method is proposed to achieve a temperature insensitive, broad and flat gain C-band erbium-doped fiber amplifier (EDFA) with aid of macro-bending. This gain flattened C-band EDFA is demonstrated by utilizing 2.5 m macro-bent Erbium-doped fiber (EDF) at room temperature of 25℃. Further to this, it is shown that gain fluctuation at different temperatures is compensated in the proposed design. The EDFA performance at different temperatures is investigated for various macro-bending diameter and EDF length. The gain saturation and energy transfer from shorter wavelengths to longer wavelengths can be controlled by varying the bending radius and the length of the doped fiber, consequently, a flattened and broadened gain profile in the C-band region can be achieved. The amplifier uses a 2.5 m long EDF with 2000 ppm concentration and bending radius of 6.5 mm as a gain medium. The gain variation of the EDFA is obtained within ±0.5 dB over 35 nm bandwidth of C-band region.
2. Harun, S. W., N. K. Saat, and H. Ahmad, "An effcient S-band erbium-doped fiber amplifier using double-pass configuration," IEICE Electronics Express, Vol. 2, No. 6, 182-185, 2005.
3. Mishra, M. and S. Konar, "High bit rate dense dispersion managed optical communication systems with distributed amplification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 301-320, 2008.
4. Tripathi, R., R. Gangwar, and N. Singh, "Reduction of crosstalk in wavelength division multiplexed fiber optic communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 367-378, 2007.
5. Banerjee, A., "New approach to design digitally tunable optical fier system for wavelength selective switching based optical networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 93-100, 2009.
6. Makoui, S., M. Savadi-Oskouei, A. Rostami, and Z. D. Koozehkanani, "Dispersion flattened optical fiber design for large bandwidth and high-speed optical communications using optimization technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 21-40, 2009.
7. Emami, S. D., S. W. Harun, F. Abd-Rahman, H. A. AbdulRashid, S. A. Daud, and H. Ahmad, "Optimization of the 1050nm pump power and fiber length in single-pass and double-pass pump power and fiber length in single-pass and double-pass thulium doped fiber amplifiers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 431-448, 2009.
8. Rostami, A. and A. Salmanogli, "Investigation of light amplification in si-nanocrystal-er doped optical fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 9, 27-51, 2008.
9. Shen, J.-L., Y.-C. Lee, and C.-C. Huang, "L-band automatic-gain-controlled erbium-doped fiber amplifier utilizing C-band backward-amplified spontaneous emission and electrical feedback monitor," Appl. Opt., Vol. 48, No. 5, 842-846, 2009.
10. Harun, S. W., F. A. Rahman, K. Dimyati, and H. Ahmad, "An effcient gain-flattened C-band Erbium-doped fiber amplifier," Laser Physics Letters, Vol. 3, No. 11, 536-538, 2006.
11. Nagaraju, B., M. C. Paul, M. Pal, A. Pal, R. K. Varshney, B. P. Pal, S. K. Bhadra, G. Monnom, and B. Dussardier, "Design and fabrication of an intrinsically gain flattened Erbium doped fiber amplifier," Optics Communications, Vol. 282, No. 12, 2335-2338, 2009.
12. Hajireza, P., S. D. Emami, S. Abbasizargaleh, S. W. Harun, and H. A. Abdul-Rashid, "Optimization of gain flattened C-band EDFA using macro-bending," Laser Physics, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1433-1437, 2010.
13. Bae, J. K., J. Bae, S. H. Kim, N. Park, and S. B. Lee, "Dynamic EDFA gain-flattening filter using two LPFGs with divided coil heaters," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 17, No. 6, 1226-1228, 2005.
14. Huang, S. H., X. Y. Zou, A. E. Willner, Z. Bao, and D. A. Smith, "Experimental demonstration of active equalization and ASE suppression of three 2.5-Gb/s WDM-network channels over 2500km using AOTF as transmission filters," IEEE Technology Letters, Vol. 9, No. 3, 389-391, 1997.
15. Nolan, D. A., "Multiply tapered fiber devices," Wave-length Division Multiplexing Components, D. Nolan, ed., Vol. 29 of OSA Trends in Optics and Photonics (Optical Society of America), paper 95, 1999, http://www.opticsinfobase.org/abstract.cfm?URI=WDM-1999-95.
16. Chan, C. E., S. D. Emami, P. Hajireza, H. Y. Beh, S. A. Daud, S. S. Pathmanathan, S. W. Harun, H. Ahmad, and H. A. Abdul Rashid, "Optimization of fiber length and bending diameter in depressed cladding erbium-doped fiber amplifier," IEEE 9th Malaysia International Conference Communications (MICC), 276-279, 2009.
17. Hajireza, P., S. D. Emami, C. L. Cham, D. Kumar, S. W. Harun, and H. A. Abdul-Rashid, "Linear all-fiber temperature sensor based on macro-bent erbium doped fiber," Laser Physics letters, 2010.
18. Daud, S. A., S. D. Emami, K. S. Mohamed, N. M. Yusoff, L. Aminudin, H. A. Abdul-Rashid, S. W. Harun, H. Ahmad, M. R. Mokhtar, Z. Yusof, and F. A. Rahman, "Gain and noise figure improvements in a shorter wavelength region of EDFA using a macrobending approach," Laser Physics, Vol. 18, No. 11, 1362-1464, 2008.