In this paper, a jamming cancelation approach based on the concept of pulse diversity is proposed to suppress some newer complicated digital radio frequency memory (DRFM) range false targets (RFT). Just repeating the intercepted radar electromagnetic signal, as done in the conventional re-transmitting jammer, is not effective because only one range false target is produced. In contrast, the newer DRFM-based RFT generation methods, especially chopping and interleaving (C&I) and smeared spectrum (SMSP) can yield a multi-lobe filter output by transforming the internal structure of the intercepted radar signal. The presented approach to overcome this challenge is based on the temporal pulse diversity technique, and it does not require parameter estimation of the jamming signal. By transmitting pulses with specific transmission pulse block and the following proper processing, it can cancel out the protruding spikes of the jammer at the price of an acceptable performance loss. Particularly, this method is applicable to broad DRFM repeat jammer in electronic warfare (EW) area.
2. DiFilippo, D., G. Geling, and G. Currie, "Simulator for advanced fighter radar EPM development," IEE Proceedings Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 148, No. 3, 139-146, 2001.
3. Pace, P. E., D. J. Fouts, S. Ekestorm, and C. Karow, "Digital false-target image synthesiser for countering ISAR," IEE Proceedings Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 149, No. 5, 248-257, 2002.
4. Sparrow, M. J. and J. Cikalo, ECM techniques to counter pulse compression radar, United States Patent 7081846, Jul. 2006.
5. Mouhamadou, M., P. Armand, P. Vaudon, and M. Rammal, "Interference suppression of the linear antenna arrays controlled by phase with use of SQP algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 251-265, 2006.
6. Mahmoud, K. R., M. El-Adawy, S. M. M. Ibrahem, R. Bansal, K. R. Mahmoud Visiting, and S. H. Zainud-Deen, "Performance of circular Yagi-Uda arrays foe beamforming applications using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 2--3, 353-364, 2008.
7. Guney, K. and S. Basbug, "Interference suppression of linear antenna arrays by amplitude-only control using a bacterial foraging algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 475-497, 2008.
8. Garmatyuk, D. S. and R. M. Narayanan, "ECCM capabilities of an ultrawideband bandlimited random noise imaging radar," IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 38, No. 4, 1243-1255, 2002.
9. Schuerger, J. and D. Garmatyuk, "Deception jamming modeling in radar sensor networks," IEEE Military Communication Conference, 1-7, San Diego, USA, Nov. 2008.
10. Soumekh, M., "SAR-ECCM using phase-perturbed LFM chirp signals and DRFM repeat jammer penalization," IEEE Transaction on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 1, 191-205, 2006.
11. Akhtar, J., "An ECCM scheme for orthogonal independent range-focusing of real and false targets," IEEE Radar Conference, 846-849, Boston, USA, Apr. 2007.
12. Akhtar, J., "An ECCM signaling approach for deep fading of jamming reflectors," IET International Conference on Radar Systems, 1-5, Edinburgh, UK, Oct. 2007.
13. Garvanov, I. and C. Kabakchiev, "One and two dimensions CFAR processors in the presence of strong pulse jamming," Cybernetics and Information Technologies, No. 1, 58-72, 2002.
14. Roome, S. J., "Digital radio frequency memory," Electronic Communication Engineering Journal, Vol. 2, No. 4, 147-153, 1990.
15. Greco, M., F. Gini, and A. Farina, "Radar detection and classification of jamming signals belonging to a cone class," IEEE Transaction on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, No. 5, 1984-1993, 2008.
16. Habib, M. K., "Digital representations of operators on band-limited random signals," IEEE Transaction on Information Theory, Vol. 47, No. 1, 173-177, 2001.
17. Lu, H.-F., P. V. Kumar, and C. Habong, "On orthogonal designs and space-time codes," Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium Information Theory, 418, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2002.
18. Alamouti, S. M., "A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications," IEEE Journal Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 16, No. 8, 1451-1458, 1998.
19. Su, W. F. and X.-G. Xia, "Quasi-orthogonal space-time block codes with full diversity," IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, 1098-1102, Taipei, China, Nov. 2002.