Non-invasive termite detection avoids damage to the structure under investigation. In this paper, we present the design and simulation of a hybrid radar array, with sub-arrays designed for both close range imaging and wide-area direction of arrival (DOA) processing for non-invasive termite detection. This radar array achieves wide area detection via novel modifications to the Matrix Enhanced Matrix Pencil algorithm and array transformation and achieves high resolution imaging through near field beam-steering from a large random array. The array hardware is designed to be implemented using available technology and low cost electronics.
2. Abe, Y., D. E. Bignell, and T. Higashi, Termites: Evolution, Sociality, Symbioses, Ecology, Springer, 2000.
3. Caulfield, R. and P. Daly, "An analysis of termite damage in Sydney and Melbourne," Archicentre Limited, Hawthorn, Victoria, Australia, 2006.
4. Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions, American National Standard T1.523-2001, Telecom Glossary 2000, 2001.
5. Schmidt, R., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 276, March 1986.
6. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT --- Estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance technique," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, July 1989.
7. Park, D. H., G. T. Park, K. K. Lee, and J. H. Lee, "Algebraic path-following algorithm for localising 3-D near-field sources in uniform circular array," Electronic Letters, Vol. 39, No. 17, August 21, 2003.
8. Miller, E. L. and A. Sahin, "Object detection using high resolution near-field array processing," IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, 136-141, 2001.
9. Hittite Microwave Corporation, ``HMC533LP4 datasheet,", Massachusetts, USA, http://www.hittite.com/content/documents/data sheet/hmc533lp4.pdf.
10. Bachl, R., "The forward-backward averaging technique applied to TLS-ESPRIT processing," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 43, No. 11, 2691-2699, November 1995.
11. Hua, Y., "Estimating two-dimensional frequencies by matrix enhancement and MEMP," IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, Vol. 40, No. 9, 2267-2280, September 1992.
12. Le Marshall, N. W. D. and A. Z. Tirkel, "The application of the MEMP and beamforming to determine the presence of termites in situ," IEEE EUROCON Proceedings, 1568-1572, 2009.
13. Van Trees, H. L., Detection, Estimation, and Modulation Theory, Part IV, Optimum Array Processing, Wiley, New York, 2002.
14. Sarkar, T. and S. Burintramart, "Target localization in three dimensions," Advances in Direction of Arrival Estimation, 87-102, S. Chandran (ed.), Chaper 5, Artech House, Boston, USA, 2006.
15. Humphrey, D. E. J. and V. F. Fusco, "A mutual coupling model for microstrip patch antenna pairs with arbitrary orientatio," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1998.
16. Kyungjung, K., T. K. Sarkar, and M. S. Palma, "Adaptive processing using a single snapshot for a nonuniformly spaced array in the presence of mutual coupling and near-field scatterers," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 5, 582-590, May 2002.
17. Friedlander, B., "Direction finding using an interpolated array," International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 5, 2951-2954, 1990.
18. Dessouky, M., H. Sharshar, and Y. A. Albagory, "An approach for low sidelobe beamforming in uniform concentric circular arrays," Wireless Personal Communications: An International Journal, Vol. 43, No. 4, 1363-1368, April 2007.
19. Brown, G., "Spartan-DSP takes aim at affordable DSP performance," DSP Magazine, No. 3, 8-9, 2007.