A novel compact Epsilon Near Zero (ENZ) tunneling circuit with microstrip coupling for high integrability applications is presented. Full design procedure, simulation and experimental results are shown, and a methodology to extract the effective permittivity and propagation constants in the tunnel is described. Detailed analysis of the dependence on external quality factor and tunnel to feed height ratio is investigated. Simulation and measurement results of the ENZ tunnel structure are in good agreement.
2. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Achieving transparency with plasmonic and metamaterial coatings," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 72, No. 1, 016623-1-016623-9, Jul. 2005.
3. Alù, A., M. G. Silverinha, A. Salandrino, and N. Engheta, "Epsilon-near-zero metamaterials and electromagnetic sources: Tailoring the radiation phase pattern," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 75, No. 15, 155410-1-155410-13, Apr. 2007.
4. Silveirinha, M. G. and N. Engheta, "Theory of supercoupling, squeezing wave energy, and field confinement in narrow channels and tight bends using ε-near zero materials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 76, No. 24, 245109-1-245109-17, Dec. 2007.
5. Edwards, B., A. Alù, M. E. Young, M. G. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Experimental verification of epsilon-near-zero metamaterial coupling and energy squeezing using a microwave waveguide," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 100, No. 3, 033903-1-033903-4, Jan. 2008.
6. Edwards, B., A. Alù, M. G. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Reflectionless sharp bends and corners in waveguides using epsilon-near-zero effects," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 105, No. 4, 044905-1-044905-4, Feb. 2009.
7. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Antenna matching in ε-near zero metamaterial channels," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology, iWAT 2009, 1-4, Mar. 2-4, 2009.
8. Alù, A. and N. Engheta, "Dielectric sensing in ε-near zero narrow waveguide channels," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 78, No. 4, 045102-1-045102-5, Jul. 2008.
9. Rotman, W., "Plasma simulation by artificial dielectrics and parallel-plate media," IRE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 10, No. 1, 82-95, Jan. 1962.
10. Alù, A., M. G. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Transmission-line analysis of ε-near-zero-filled narrow channels," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 78, No. 4, 016604-1-045102-10, Jul. 2008.
11. Collin, R. E., Field Theory of Guided Waves, 2 Ed., IEEE Press, New York, 1980.
12. Ansoft HFSS Software, version.11.
13. Lubkowski, G., R. Schuhmann, and T. Weiland, "Extraction of e®ective metamaterial parameters by parameter fitting of dispersive models," Microwave Opt. and Technol. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 2, 285-288, Feb. 2007.