In this paper, a novel nine elements array dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) is presented. The DRA was excited by a microstrip feeder with a rectangular aperture coupled slots. The slot positions were determined based on the characteristic of standing wave ratio over a short ended microstrip. The measured gain of the array DRA operating at 5.84 GHz was about 10 dBi having impedance bandwidth of 60 MHz. The proposed DRA exhibits an enhancement of the gain in comparison with a single pellet DRA. The size of the whole antenna structure is about 60 mm × 40 mm and potentially can be used in wireless systems.
2. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Research Studies Press, Hertfordshire, U.K., 2003.
3. Kishk, A. A., "Wideband dielectric resonator antenna in a truncated tetrahedron form excited by a coaxial probe," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2907-2912, Oct. 2003.
4. Petosa, A., N. Simons, R. Shiusansian, A. Ittipiboon, and M. Cuhaci, "Design and analysis of multisegment dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 738-742, May 2000.
5. Bit-Babik, G., C. Di Nallo, and A. Faraone, "Multimode dielectric resonator antenna of very high permittivity," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1383-1386, Monterey, CA, Jun. 2004.
6. Ittipiboon, A., A. Petosa, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhaci, "An investigation of a novel broadband dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 2038-2041, Baltimore, MA, Jul. 1996.
7. Pliakostathis, K. and D. Mirshekar-Syahkal, "Stepped dielectric resonator antennas for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 2, 1367-1370, Monterey, CA, Jun. 2004.
8. Leung, K. W., W. C. Wong, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Annular slot-coupled dielectric resonator antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, 1275-1277, Jun. 1998.
9. Ong, S. H., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Wideband disk-ring dielectric resonator antenna," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 35, 425-428, Dec. 2002.
10. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, M. Cuhaci, and R. Larose, "Bandwidth improvement for a microstrip-fed series array of dielectric resonator antennas," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 7, 608-609, Mar. 1996.
11. Lee, R. Q. and R. N. Simons, "Bandwidth enhancement of dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., Vol. 3, 1500-1503, Jul. 1993.
12. Eshrah, I. A., A. A. Kishk, A. B. Yakovlev, and A. W. Glisson, "Theory and implementation of dielectric resonator antenna excited by a waveguide slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 44, No. 53, 483-494, Jan. 2005.
13. Al-Zoubi, A. S., A. A. Kishk, and A. W. Glisson, "Analysis and design of a rectangular dielectric resonator antenna FED by dielectric image line through narrow slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 379-390, 2007.
14. Leung, K. W., K. Y. A. Lai, K. M. Luk, and D. Lin, "Input impedance of aperture coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 29, 1165-1167, 1993.
15. Lueng, K. W., K. W. Luk, K. Y. A. Lai, and D. Lin, "Theory and experiment of an aperture-coupled hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 43, 1192-1198, 1995.
16. Neshati, M. H. and Z. Wu, "The determination of the resonance frequency of the TE mode in a rectangular dielectric resonator for antenna applications," Proc. 11th Int. Conf. Antennas and Propagation, 2001.
17. Mongia, R. K., "Theoretical and experimental resonant frequencies of rectangular dielectric resonators," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 139, 98-104, 1992.
18. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antenna aperture-coupled to a microstripline," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 49-50, 1985.
19. Pozar, D. M., "A reciprocity method of analysis for printed slot and slot-coupled microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 12, 1439-1446, Dec. 1986.
20. Sullivan, P. L. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 34, No. 8, 977-984, Aug. 1986.
21. Edwards, T. C. and M. B. Steer, Foundations of Interconnect and Microstrip Design, 3 Ed., North Carolina State University, USA University of Leeds, UK, 2001.
22. CARR, J. J., Practical Antenna Handbook, Blue Ridge Summit, PA, TAB Books, 1989.
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley, New York, 2005.
24. Luk, K. M. and K. W. Leung, Dielectric Resonator Antennas, Baldock, Research Studies, 2003.