An ultra wideband (UWB) coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed rectangular monopole antenna, which is of band notched characteristic for Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN), Worldwide inter-operability for Microwave Access (WiMAX) and the C-band satellite communications, is proposed, fabricated and measured. In order to obtain the desired dual band rejections, a piece of pentagonal slotline and a pair of inverted L-shaped stubs are loaded on the CPW fed rectangular monopole antenna of enhanced impedance bandwidth. The antenna is printed on the FR4 substrate of 40 mm (width) × 41 mm (length) × 0.5 mm (thickness), and is optimized by ANSOFT HFSS. A prototype is fabricated according to the optimized parameters values, and the antenna characteristics are measured. The results show that the antenna is of UWB characteristic and exhibits band rejection of 3.2-4.25 GHz and 5.1-6.15 GHz, which covers WLAN, WiMAX, and C-band satellite communications.
2. Schantz, H. G., G. Wolence, and E. M. Myszka, "Frequency notched UWB antennas," IEEE Conf. on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, 214-218, 2003.
3. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
4. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
5. Zhang, G. M., J. S. Hong, and B. Z. Wang, "Two novel band notched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
6. Ghatak, R., R Debnath, D. R. Poddar, R. K. Mishra, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "A CPW fed planar monopole band notched UWB antenna with embedded split ring resonators," 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 645-647, 2009.
7. Weng, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "An antenna for UWB and bluetooth standards with band-notched characteristics," ICUWB 2009, 170-174, 2009.
8. Falahati, A., M. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, and R. M. Edwards, "Dual band-notch CPW-ground-fed UWB antenna by fractal binary tree slot," 5th International Conference on Wireless and Mobile Communications, 385-390, 2009.
9. Kim, D. Z. and J. W. Yu, "Wide-band planar monopole antenna with triple band-notched slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 117-128, 2009.
10. Weng, Y. F., W. J. Lu, S. W. Cheung, and T. L. Yuk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band notched characteristic for WLAN band using meandered ground stubs," 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 757-760, 2009.
11. Halilzadeh, A. K., K. K. M. Chan, and K. Rambabu, "Coupled-line fed dual notch ultra-wideband antenna," Electronic Letters, Vol. 46, No. 1, 2010.
12. Deng, C., Y. J. Xie, and P. Li, "CPW-fed planar printed monopole antenna with impedance bandwidth enhanced," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2009.
13. Ray, K. P. and Y. Ranga, "Printed rectangular monopole antenna," Proc. IEEE APS Int. Symp., 1636-1639, 2006.