In this paper, direction of arrival (DOA) algorithms for Frequency Modulated (FM) point source have been implemented over a real time system. The source was a commercial FM radio station broadcasting at 89 MHz. Experiments were carried out in order to determine the location of a FM transmitter using spectral and sub-space algorithms. The complete Radio Frequency (RF) front end and Uniform Linear Array (ULA) of dipole antennas were designed at 98 MHz having bandwidth of 20 MHz covering the complete FM band. The estimated DOAs are in close agreement to each other.
2. Burg, J. P., "Maximum entropy spectral analysis," Proc. of the 37th Annual International SEG Meeting, Oklahoma City, OK, 1967.
3. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameter estimation," Proc. RADC Spectrum Estimation Workshop, 243-258, Griffiths AFB, N.Y., 1979.
4. Schmidt, R. O., "A signal subspace approach to multiple emitter location and spectral estimation,", Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1981.
5. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Performance analysis of ESPRIT and TAM in determining the direction of arrival of plane waves in noise," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 12, 1990-199, Dec., 1989.
6. Rappaport, T. S. and J. C. Liberti Jr., Smart Antennas for Wireless Communications: IS-95 and Third Generation CDMA Applications, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, 1999.
7. Viberg, M. and Thomas, Hand Book on Antenna in Wireless Communication, CRC Press LLC, Svantesson, 2002.
8. Foutz, J., A. Spanias, and M. K. Banavar, Narrowband Direction of Arrival Estimation for Antenna Arrays, Arizona State University, 2008.
9. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT-estimation of parameters via rotational invariance techniques," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, Jul., 1989.
10. Ferreira, T. N., S. L. Netto, and P. S. R. Diniz, "Covariance-based direction-of-arrival estimation with real structures," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 15, 2008.
11. Ottersten, B., M. Viberg, and T. Kailath, "Performance analysis of the total least squares ESPRIT algorithm," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 39, No. 5, 1122-1135, May, 1995.
12. Stoica, P. and A. Nehorai, "Performance comparison of subspace rotation and MUSIC methods for direction estimation," IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 39, No. 2, 446-453, Feb., 1991.