In this paper, we present a novel method to design a microstrip bandpass filter (BPF) with high selectivity and upper rejection band. The proposed coupling structure mainly composes of half-wavelength input/output (I/O) microstript lines and open-loop ring resonators. By properly selecting the coupling position between the I/O lines and resonators, the spurious response of the BPF can be well suppressed. A filter example centered at 2.4 GHz achieves a high band selectivity and a wide upper-stopband rejection greater than 20 dB from 2.7 to 6 GHz. Experimental results show a good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Kuo, J. T., S. P. Chen, and M. Jiang, "Parallel-coupled microstrip filters with over-coupled end stages for suppression of spurious responses," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 13, 440-442, 2003.
3. Kuo, J. T., M. Jiang, and H. J. Chang, "Design of parallel-coupled microstrip filters with suppression of spurious resonances using substrate suspension," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, 83-89, 2004.
4. Lopetegi, T., M. A. G. Laso, J. Hernández, M. Bacaicoa, D. Benito, M. J. Garde, M. Sorolla, and M. Guglielmi, "New microstrip `wiggly-line' filters with spurious passband suppression," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 1593-1598, 2001.
5. Chang, Y. C., C. H. Kao, M. H. Weng, and R. Y. Yang, "Design of the compact dual-band bandpass filter with high isolation for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 780-782, 2009.
6. Zhang, J., J. Z. Gu, B. Cui, and X. W. Sun, "Compact and harmonic suppression open-loop resonator bandpass filter with tri-section SIR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 93-100, 2007.
7. Zhu, Y. Z., Y. J. Xie, and H. Feng, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters with transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 29-41, 2007.
8. Zhang, X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Novel centrally loaded resonators and their applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, 913-921, 2008.
9. Griol, A., J. Marti, and L. Sempere, "Microstrip multistage coupled ring bandpass filters using spur-line filters for harmonic suppression," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, 572-573, 2001.
10. Electron. Lett., X. Y. and Q. Xue, "Harmonic-suppressed bandpass filter based on discriminating coupling," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, 695-697, 2009.
11. Karthikeyan, S. S. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Harmonic suppression of parallel coupled microstrip line bandpass filter using CSRR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 193-201, 2009.
12. Dai, G. L., X. Y. Zhang, C. H. Chen, Q. Xue, and M. Y. Xia, "An investigation of open- and short-ended resonators and their applications to bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, 2203-2210, 2009.
13. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 2nd Ed., Wiley, New York, 1998.
14. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.
15. IE3D, Simulator, Zeland Software, Inc., Fremont, CA, 1997.