Millimeter wave High Impedance Surfaces (HIS) based antennas are designed, fabricated, and characterized for high data rate communications at frequencies around 40 GHz. HIS with different finite surface area sizes are used as a ground plane for the microstrip patch antennas to suppress the surface waves. The antenna measurements and full wave electromagnetic simulations demonstrate a wide bandwidth of 12-15% in the frequency range of 38-44 GHz with a high gain of ~6 dB and a very low cross polar contribution better than -20 dB.
2. Cui, B., J. Zhang, and X. W. Sun, "Single layer micro-strip antenna arrays applied in millimeter-wave radar," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 3-15, 2008.
3. Ren, Y.-J. and K. Chang, "An ultrawideband microstrip dual ring antenna for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Letters, Vol. 6, 457-459, 2007.
4. Yang, G.-M., R. Jin, J. Geng, and W. He, "Planar broadband millimeter-wave antenna based on open loop ring resonators," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 2, 324-328, 2008.
5. Navarro, J., "Wide-band, low-profile millimeter-wave antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 34, No. 4, 253-255, 2002.
6. Jackson, D. R., J. T. Williams, A. K. Bhattacharyya, R. L. Smith, S. J. Buchheit, and S. A. Long, "Microstrip patch designs that do not excite surface waves," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 8, 1026-1037, August 1993.
7. Mahmoud, S. F. and A. R. Al-Ajmi, "A novel microstrip patch antenna with reduced surface wave excitation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 86, 71-86, 2008.
8. Sievenpiper, D., High impedance electromagnetic surfaces, Ph.D. Thesis, UCLA, 1999.
9. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, R. F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopoulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "Artificial Magnetic conductor Surfaces with a forbidden frequency band," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, 1999.
10. Liang, L., C. H. Liang, L. Chen, and X. Chen, "A novel broadband EBG using cascaded mushroom-like structure," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 8, 2170-2167, 2008.
11. Mahdi Moghadasi, S., A. R. Attari, and M. M. Mirsalehi, "Compact and wideband 1-D mushroom-like EBG filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 323-333, 2008.
12. Bahrami, H., M. Hakkak, and A. Pirhadi, "Analysis and design of highly compact bandpass waveguide filter using complementary split ring resonators (CSRR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 107-122, 2008.
13. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, Oct. 2003.
14. Maslovski, S., P. Ikonen, C. Simovski, M. Karkkainen, S. Tretyakov, and V. Denchev, Improving antenna near-field pattern by use of artificial impedance screens, physics/0504123, 2005.
15. Wu, Z.-H. and W. X. Zhang, "On profile thickness of printed compound air-fed array antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, 199-207, 2010.
16. Sohn, J. R., K. Y. Kim, H.-S. Tae, and J. -H. Lee, "Comparative study on various artificial magnetic conductors for low-profile antenna ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 61, 27-37, 2006.
17. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Reflection phase characterizations of the EBG ground plane for low profile wire antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2939-2949, 2003.
18. Tretyakov, S. A. and C. R. Simovski, "Wire antennas near artificial impedance surfaces," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 27, No. 1, 46-50, 2000.