In this paper, a frequency reconfigurable active array antenna (RAA) system, which can be reconfigurable at three different frequency bands, is proposed. The proposed RAA system is designed with a novel frequency reconfigurable front-end amplifiers (RFA) designed with the simple reconfigurable impedance matching circuits (RMC) with the MEMS switches. With the MEMS switch, the RFA is realized without any performance sacrifice especially linear characteristic. The proposed RMC is composed of a series transmission line and a shunt capacitor, and an arbitrary impedance can be transformed to any other impedance value with single switch control for a desired frequency band. The proposed RAA antenna system is composed of the RMC, RFA with the RMC, 2×2 array of reconfigurable antenna elements (RAE), as well as a reconfiguration control board (RCB) for MEMS switch control, and the validity of the proposed RMC, RFA, as well as RAA system, which is presented with the experimental results.
2. Kim, H.-T., S. Jung, K. Kang, J.-H. Park, Y.-K. Kim, and Y. Kwon, "Low-loss analog and digital micromachined impedance tuners at the Ka-band," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 12, 2394-2400, 2001.
3. Pringle, L. N., P. H. Harms, S. P. Blalock, G. N. Kiesel, E. J. Kuster, P. G. Friederich, R. J. Prado, J. M. Morris, and G. S. Smith, "A reconfigurable aperture antenna based on switched links between electrically small metallic patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1434-1445, 2004.
4. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, J.-Y. Qian, Y. H. Jae, A. Grau, and F. de Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable mems integrated antennas for adaptive mimo systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 12, 62-70, 2004.
5. Zhang, S., G. H. HuffJ. Feng, and J. T. Bernhard, "A pattern reconfigurable microstrip parasitic array," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 10, 2773-2776, 2004.
6. Fries, M. K., M. Grani, and R. Vahldieck, "A reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 13, No. 11, 490-492, 2003.
7. Danson, J., C. Plett, and N. Tait, "Using mems capacitive switches in tunable RF amplifiers," Eurasip Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2006.
8. Sinsky, J. H. and C. R. Westgate, "Design of an electronically tunable microwave impedance transformer," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 647-650, 1997.
9. Vicki Chen, L. Y., R. Forse, D. Chase, and R. A. York, Analog tunable matching network using integrated thin-film bst capacitors, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest , Vol. 1, 261-264, 2004.
10. Neo, W. C. E., X. Liu, Y. Lin, L. C. N. de Vreede, L. E. Larson, S. Spirito, A. Akhnoukh, A. de Graauw, and L. K. Nanver, "Improved hybrid sige hbt class-ab power amplifier efficiency using varactor-based tunable matching networks," Proceedings of the Bipolar/BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting, Vol. 108, No. 111, 2005.
11. Brown, E. R., "RF-mems switches for reconfigurable integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1868-1880, 1998.
12. Wu, T., R. L. Li, S. Y. Eom, K. Lim, S. I. Jeon, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "A multiband/scalable reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio base stations," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
13. Yumin, L., D. Peroulis, S. Mohammadi, and L. P. B. Katehi, "A mems reconfigurable matching network for a class ab amplifier," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 13, No. 10, 437-439, 2003.
14. Fukuda, A., N. Okazaki, S. Narahashi, T. Hirota, and Y. Yamao, "A 900/1500/2000-MHz triple-band reconfigurable power amplifier employing RF-MEMS switches," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2005.
15. Xing, H., S. Keller, Y. F. Wu, L. McCarthy, I. P. Smorchkova, D. Buttari, R. Coffie, D. S. Green, G. Parish, S. Heikman, L. Shen, N. Zhang, J. J. Xu, B. P. Keller, S. P. DenBaars, U. K. Mishra, and , "Gallium nitride based transistors," ournal of Physics-condensed Matter, Vol. 13, No. 32, 7139-7157, 2001.