Design and analysis of a compact coplanar waveguide (CPW) fed Ultra Wideband (UWB) slot antenna is presented in this paper. The antenna consists of a rectangular slot with cross like structure at the anterior portion of the feed which acts as tuning stub. The CPW feed is designed for 50 Ω impedance. The physical dimension of the proposed antenna is 19 mm (length)×20 mm (width)×1.6 mm (thickness), and the electrical size is 0.3 λl (length)×0.32 λl (width)(fl=4.8 GHz). The characteristics of the designed structure are investigated by using MoM based electromagnetic solver, IE3D. An extensive analysis of the proposed antenna in the frequency and time domains are presented. The antenna was fabricated with FR4 substrate and characterized by measuring returnloss, radiation pattern (5.5 GHz) and gain. The measured results are appreciably in good agreement with the simulated ones. A better impedance bandwidth is obtained from 4.8 GHz to 12.8 GHz that constitutes a fractional bandwidth of 90% with return loss less than or equal to -10 dB (VSWR < 2). Time domain analysis of the antenna is also performed, which witnessed the linear phase and less distortion. The simple configuration and low profile nature of the proposed antenna leads to easy fabrication that may be built for any wireless UWB device applications.
2. Ghavami, M., L. B. Michael, and R. Kohno, Ultra Wideband Signals and Systems in Communication Engineering, John-Wiley & Sons, New York, 2004.
3. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits Components and Systems, John-Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
4. Chiou, J. Y., J. Y. Sze, and K. L. Wong, "A broad-band CPW-fed strip-loaded square slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 4, 719-721, 2003.
5. Chen, H. D., "Broadband CPW-fed square slot antenna with a widened tuning stub," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1982-1986, 2003.
6. Deng, S. M. and H. H. Kan, "Analysis of CPW-fed triangle patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 3, 398-401, 2001.
7. Alpesh, U. B., et al., "Wide-band slot antennas with CPW feed lines: Hybrid and log-periodic designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 52, No. 10, 2545-2554, 2004.
8. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot FED by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
9. Jiao, J.-J., G. Zhao, F.-S. Zhang, H.-W. Yuan, and Y.-C Jiao, "A broadband CPW-FED T-shape slot antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 237-242, 2007.
10. Denidni, A. and M. A. Habib, "A broadband printed CPW-fed circular slot antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 3, 135-136, 2006.
11. Lin, S.-Y., et al., A novel compact slot antenna for ultrawideband communications, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, 5123-5126, 2007.
12. Ding, X. and A. F. Jacob, "CPW-fed slot antenna with wide radiatings apertures," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng./Microwave Antenna Propagation, Vol. 145, 104-104, 1998.
13. Qu, S. W., C. Ruan, and B. Z. Wang, "Bandwidth enhancement of wide slot antenna fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 15-17, 2006.
14. Yeo, J., Y. Lee, and R. Mittra, "Wideband slot antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Proc. --- Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 151, 351-355, 2004.
15. Consoli, F., F. Maimone, and S. Barbarino, "Study of a CPW-fed circular Slot antenna for UWB communications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 2272-2277, 2006.
16. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawideband coplanar waveguide-fed rectangular slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 227-229, 2004.
17. Eldek, A. A., A. Z. Elsherbeni, and C. E. Smith, "Rectangular slot antenna with patch stub for ultra wideband applications and phased array systems ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 227-237, 2005.
18. Lin, Y.-C. and K.-J. Hung, "Compact ultrawideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, 2006.
19. Chen, X., W. Zhang, R. Ma, R. Zhang, and J. Gao, "Ultrawideband CPW-fed antenna with round corner rectangular slot and partial circular patch," IET Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 847-851, 2007.
20. Li, Z., C. X. Zhang, G.-M. Wang, and W.-R. Su, "Designs on CPW-FED aperture antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 1-6, 2008.
21. FCC IE3D 14, Zeland Software, Ins., Fremont, USA.
22. Ma, K.-P., Y. X. Qian, and T. Itoh, "Analysis and applications of a new CPW-slot line transition," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 426-432, 1999.
23. Licul, S. and W. A. Davis, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna measurements using vector network analyzer," Proc. of IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, 1319-1322, 2004.