This paper presents compact on-chip finite ground coplanar waveguide (FGCPW) lowpass filter (LPF) and bandpass filter (BPF) for V-band multi gigabit per second (Gbps) wireless personal area network (WPAN) applications. The equivalent lumped-element circuit of the proposed filters can be represented by an ABCD matrix which is obtained by consecutively multiplied ABCD matrixes of one T-network impedance and two shunt admittances. The full-wave EM simulators, AnsoftTM HFSS and AgilentTM Momentum, were used to fine tune the desired frequency response. The FGCPW LPF and BPF were implemented in WINTM semiconductor 0.15 μm pHEMT process. The obtained insertion losses are smaller than 0.5 dB and 1.5 dB with return losses of better than 20 dB and 13 dB, respectively. The 1-dB bandwidths of the LPF and BPF are 70 GHz (0-70 GHz) and 11 GHz (55-66 GHz), respectively. The stopband rejections are better than 20 dB from 95 to 120 GHz in the LPF, and from 0 to 42 GHz and 82 to 120 GHz in the BPF. The measured frequency responses show good agreements with the simulations. The chip size is very compact of 0.43×0.45 mm2.
2. Wu, M.-S., Y.-Z. Chueh, J.-C. Yeh, and S.-G. Mao, "Synthesis of triple-band and quad-band bandpass filters using lumped-element coplanar waveguide resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 13, 433-451, 2009.
3. Chen, M., Y.-C. Lin, and M.-H. Ho, "Quasi-lumped design of bandpass filter using combined cpw and microstrip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 9, 59-66, 2009.
4. Ismail, A., M. S. Razalli, M. A. Mahdi, R. S. A. R. Abdullah, N. K. Noordin, and M. F. A. Rasid, "X-band trisection substrate-integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 133-145, 2008.
5. Zhang, J. and T. Y. Hsiang, "Dispersion characteristics of coplanar waveguides at subterahertz frequencies," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1411-1417, 2006.
6. Wang, J.-P., B.-Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "A novel partly shielded finite ground CPW low pass filter," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 19, No. 5, 689-696, 2005.
7. Yang, B., E. Skafidas, and R. J. Evans, "Design of 60 GHz millimetre-wave bandpass filter on bulk CMOS," IET Trans. Microwaves, Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 3, No. 6, 943-949, Sep. 2009.
8. Hsu, C.-Y., C.-Y. Chen, and H.-R. Chuang, "A 60-GHz millimeter-wave bandpass filter using 0.18-¹m CMOS technology," IEEE Electron Device Lett., Vol. 29, No. 3, 246-248, Mar. 2008.
9. Lee, Y.-C., W.-I. Chang, and C.-S. Park, "Monolithic LTCC SiP transmitter for 60GHz wireless communication terminals," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1015-1018, Jun. 2005.
10. Lee, M.-G., T.-S. Yun, K.-B. Kim, D.-H. Shin, T.-J. Baet, and J.-C. Lee, "Design of millimeter-wave bandpass filters with λg/4 short stubs using GaAs surface micromachining," European Int. Microwave Conf. Dig., Vol. 2, Oct. 4-6, 2005.
11. Ali, W. K. W. and S. H. AI-Charchafchi, "Using equivalent dielectric constant to simplify the analysis of patch microstrip antenna with multi layer substrates," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 676-679, Jun. 1998.
12. Hettak, K., N. Dib, A. F. Sheta, and S. Toutain, "A class of novel uniplanar series resonators and their implementation in original applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 9, 1270-1276, Sep. 1998.
13. Hettak, K., N. Dib, A. Omar, G. Y. Delisle, M. Stubbs, and S. Toutain, "A useful new class of miniature CPW shunt stubs and its impact on millimeter-wave integrated circuits ," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2340-2349, Dec. 1999.
14. Simons, R. N., Coplanar Waveguide Circuits Components and Systems , Wiley-Interscience, 2001.
15. Godshalk, E. M., Generation and observation of surface waves on dielectric slabs and coplanar structures, IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 923-926, 1993.
16. Tsuji, M., H. Shigesawa, and A. A. Oliner, "New surface-wave-like mode on CPWs of infinite width and its role in explaining the leakage cancellation effect," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 495-498, 1992.