The resonance frequency of Split-Ring Resonators (SRRs) loading a microstrip transmission line was tuned by means of a Ba0.5Sr0.5TiO3 (BST) ferroelectric thin film. For a bias of 30 Volts, we obtained a band-stop response with a shift around 7% of the resonance to higher frequencies in Ku band. The originality of the device under test is (i) the utilisation of single C-shaped SRRs, (ii) the localisation via chemical etching of the BST film to voltage controlled interdigitated capacitances and (iii) the enhancement of the operating frequency (around 17 GHz).
2. Monti, G. and L. Tarricone, "Negative group velocity in a split ring resonator-coupled microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 33-47, 2009.
3. Wang, J., S. Qu, J. Zhang, H. Ma, Y. Yang, C. Gu, X. Wu, and Z. Xu, "A tunable left-handed metamaterial based on modified broadside-coupled split-ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 6, 35-45, 2009.
4. Chen, J. Y., W. L. Chen, J. Y. Yeh, L. W. Chen, and C. C. Wang, "Comparative analysis of split-ring resonators for tunable negative permeability metamaterials based on anisotropic dielectric substrates ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 10, 25-38, 2009.
5. Hand, T. H. and S. A. Cummer, "Frequency tunable electromagnetic metamaterial using ferroelectric loaded split rings," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 103, 066105, 2008.
6. Kuylenstierna, D., A. Vorobiev, P. Linner, and S. Gevorgian, "Composite right/left handed transmission line phase shifter using ferroelectric varactors," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 4, 167-169, 2006.
7. Marteau, A., G. Velu, G. Houzet, L. Burgnies, E. Lheurette, J.-C. Carru, and D. Lippens, "Ferroelectric tunable balanced right-and left-handed transmission lines," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 94, 023507, 2009.
8. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
9. Gil, I., J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Bonache, F. Martin, M. Sorolla, and R. Marques, "Varactor-loaded split ring resonators for tunable notch filters at microwave frequencies," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 21, 1347-1348, 2004.
10. Shadrivov, I. V., S. K. Morrison, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Tunable split-ring resonators for non-linear negative index metamaterials," Opt. Expr., Vol. 14, No. 20, 9344-9346, 2006.
11. Gil, I., C. Damn, A. Giere, M. Sazegar, J. Bonache, R. Jakoby, and F. Martin, "Electrically tunable split-ring resonators at microwave frequencies based on barium-strontium-titanate thick films," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 8, 417-418, 2009.
12. Ekmekci, E. and G. Turhan-Sayan, "Comparative investigation of resonance characteristics and electrical size of the doublesided SRR, BC SRR and conventional SRR type metamaterials for varying substrate parameters ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 12, 35-62, 2009.
13. Shadrivov, I. V., A. B. Kozyrev, D. W. van der Weide, and Y. S. Kivshar, "Tunable transmission and harmonic generation in nonlinear metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, 161903, 2008.
14. Velu, G., J.-C. Carru, E. Cattan, D. Remiens, X. Melique, and D. Lippens, "Deposition of ferroelectric BST thin films by sol gel route in view of electronic applications ," Ferroelectrics, Vol. 288, 59-69, 2003.
15. Vendik, O. G., S. P. Zubko, and M. A. Nikol'ski, "Microwave loss factor of BaSrTiO3 as a function of temperature, biasing field, barium concentration, and frequency," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 92, 7448-7452, 2002.
16. Houzet, G., L. Burgnies, G. Velu, J.-C. Carru, and D. Lippens, "Dispersion and loss of ferroelectric Ba0:5Sr0:5TiO3 thin films up to 110 GHz," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 93, 053507, 2008.
17. Burgnies, L., G. Velu, G. Houzet, K. Blary, J.-C. Carru, and D. Lippens, "A TRL-like calibration for tunable interdigitated BST varactors," IEEE Trans. on Instr. and Meas., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1127-1132, 2008.
18. Mao, S.-G. and S.-L. Chen, "Characterization and modeling of left-handed microstrip lines with application to loop antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Prop., Vol. 54, No. 4, 1084-1091, 2006.
19. Rogla, L. J., J. Carbonell, and V. E. Boria, "Study of equivalent circuits for open-ring and split-ring resonators in coplanar waveguide technology ," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, 170-176, 2007.
20. Bahl, I. J., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, 2003.
21. Gevorgian, S. S., T. Martinsson, P. L. J. Linner, and E. L. Kollberg, "CAD models for multilayered substrate interdigital capacitors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 44, No. 6, 896-904, 1996.
22. Sorrentino, R. and L. Roselli, "A new simple and accurate formula for microstrip radial stub," IEEE Microw. and Guided Waves Lett., Vol. 2, No. 12, 480-482, 1992.