In this paper, a novel band-notched circular slot (BNCS) antenna for ultra-wideband (UWB) communication is proposed. This antenna is comprised of a circular stub that excite similar-shaped slot aperture. The proposed antenna is designed on the RO4350B substrate with thickness of 500 μm and relative permittivity (εr) of 3.4 to operate in UWB band released by the US's Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 2002 (i.e., 3.1-10.6 GHz). To reject the frequency band of 5.15-5.825 GHz, which is limited by IEEE 802.11a and HIPERLAN/2, an inverted-cup strip is parasitically attached to the feed layer. The size of our proposed antenna is 50×50 mm2, and this antenna has good radiation characteristics. Effects of varying the parameters of parasitic inverted-cup strip on performance of the proposed antenna have been studied. The antenna with optimal parameters obtained from parametric study is fabricated and measured. It is observed that the simulated and experimental results have good agreement with each other.
2. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. D. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of a printed circular disc monopole antenna for UWB systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 11, 3500-3504, November 2005.
3. Ray, K. P. and Y. Rang, "Ultra-wideband printed elliptical monopole antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 4, 1189-1192, April 2007.
4. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, J. F. Li, and J. L. Guo, "A swallow-tailed wideband planar monopole antenna with semi-elliptical base," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 9, 1257-1264, 2007.
5. Ren, W., J. Y. Deng, and K. S. Chen, "Compact PCB monopole antenna for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 10, 1411-1420, 2007.
6. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A planar U-type monopole antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 2, 1-10, 2008.
7. Zhang, G.-M., J. S. Hong, B.-Z. Wang, Q. Y. Qin, J. B. Mo, and D.-M. Wan, "A novel multi-folded UWB antenna fed by CPW," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2109-2119, 2007.
8. Neyestanak, A. A. L. and A. A. Kalteh, "Band-notched elliptical slot UWB microstrip antenna with elliptical stub filled by the H-shaped slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 14-15, 1993-2002, 2008.
9. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, K. F. Lee, C. E. Smith, and D. Kajfez, "Microstrip line and CPW fed ultra-wideband slot antennas with U-shaped tuning stub and reflector," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 56, 163-182, 2006.
10. Fallahi, R., A.-A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna withband-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
11. Angelopoulos, S., A. Z. Anastopoulos, D. I. Kaklamani, A. A. Alexandridis, F. Lazarakis, and K. Dangakis, "Circular and elliptical CPW-fed slot and microstrip-fed antennas for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 294-297, 2006.
12. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultra-wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, June 2006.
13. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, March 2005.
14. Su, S. W., K. L. Wong, and F. S. Chang, "Compact printed ultra-wideband slot antenna with a band-notched operation," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 128-130, April 2005.
15. Kalteh, A. A., R. Fallahi, and M. G.-Roozbahani, "A novel microstrip-fed UWB circular slot antenna with 5-GHz band-notch characteristics," Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Conference on Ultra-wideband (ICUWB2008), Vol. 1, 117-120, 2008.
16. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, November 2005.
17. Qiu, J., Z. Du, J. Lu, and K. Gong, "A planar monopole antenna design with band-notched characteristic," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 1, 288-292, January 2006.
18. Kim, K.-H. and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1688-1692, June 2006.
19. Zhou, H. J., Q. Z. Liu, Y. Z. Yin, and W. B. Wei, "Study of the band-notched function for swallow-tailed planar monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 55-65, 2007.
20. Kalteh, A. A. and M. Naser-Moghadasi, "Design of a novel UWB band-notched microstrip slot antenna," The 5th International Conference on Wireless Commun. Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM2009), 1-4, 2009.
21. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas fed by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
22. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Compact UWB band-notched antenna with transmission-line-fed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 283-293, 2008.
23. IE3D, , Zeland Software. IE3D User's Manual Release 9. Zeland Software Inc. Available online: http://www.zeland.com.