This paper presents a CPW-fed planar inverted cone antenna (PICA) for ultra-wideband (UWB) communication applications. The proposed PICA provides a conventional monopole type omnidirectional radiation pattern, and it utilizes the advantages of the coplanar-waveguide (CPW) to simplify the structure of the antenna into a single metallic level. To improve radiation characteristics, a tapered and corrugated ground plane is used. In addition, the PICA's radiating element with three self-similarity holes is attempted to enhance performance of the antenna. The simulated and measured results demonstrate that the proposed PICA achieves a broad impedance bandwidth from 1.3 GHz to 11GHz within the magnitude of S11 (dB) less than -10 dB and maintains nearly omnidirectional radiation characteristics.
2., Federal Communications Commission (FCC), ``First report and order," 2002.
3. Yazdandoost, K. Y. and R. Kohno, "Ultra-wideband antenna," IEEE Communication Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 66, 29-32, 2004.
4. Ma, T. and S. Wu, "Ultra-wide band band-notched folded strip monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 11, 2473-2479, 2007.
5. Medeiros, C. R., J. R. Costa, and C. A. Fernandes, "Compact tapered slot UWB antenna with WLAN band rejection," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 661-664, 2009.
6. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Simulated and experimental investigation of microwave imaging using UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 263-280, 2009.
7. Chen, Z., "Novel bi-arm rolled monopole for UWB applations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, 672-677, 2005.
8. Klemm, M., I. Z. Kovcs, G. F. Pedersen, and G. Troster, "Novel small-size directional antenna for UWB WBAN/WPAN appliations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 553, No. 12, 3383-3896, 2005.
9. Ma, T. and S. Jeng, "Planar miniature tapered-slot-fed annular slot antennas for ultrawide-band radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1194-1202, 2005.
10. Cho, Y., K. Kim, D. Choi, S. Lee, and S. Park, "Miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
11. Powell, J. and A. Chandrakasan, "Differential and single ended elliptical antennas for 3.1--10.6 GHz ultra wideband communication," IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, 2935-2938, 2004.
12. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawide-band coplanar waveguide-fed rectangular slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1982-1986, 2003.
13. Suh, S. Y. A comprehensive investigation of new planar wideband antennas, Ph.D. dissertation, Virginia Polytech. Inst. State Univ., Blacksburg, VA, USA, 2002.
14. Suh, S. Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna (PICA)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 1316-1365, 2004.
15. Suh, S. Y., W. Stutzman, W. Davis, and J. Schiffer, A novel CPW-fed disc antenna, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 2919-2922, 2004.
16. Pell, B., E. Sulic, W. Rowe, K. Ghorbani, S. John, R. Gupta, and K. F. Zhang, The design and realization of uniplanar CPW fed PICA slot antennas, IEEE Microwave Conference, 2008. AMPC 2008. Asia-Pacific, 1-4, 2008.
17. Cheng, S., P. Hallbjorner, and A. Rydberg, "Printed slot planar inverted cone antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 18-21, 2008.
18. Kharakhili, F. G., M. Fardis, G. Dadashzadeh, A. K. A. Ahmadi, and N. Hojjat, "Circular slot with a novel circular microstrip open ended microstrip feed for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 161-167, 2007.
19. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009.
20. Zhang, G. M., J. S. Hong, B. Z. Wang, Q. Y. Qin, J. B. Mo, and D. M. Wan, "A novel multi-folded UWB antenna fed by CPW," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 14, 2109-2119, 2007.
21. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 1998.
22. Chen, N. W. and Y. C. Liang, "An ultra-broadband, coplanar-waveguide FED circular monopole antenna with improved radiation characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 193-207, 2009.
23. Chen, N. W. and Y. C. Liang, "Coplanar-waveguide fed circular disc monopole antenna with improved radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 1-6, 2007.
24. Lamberty, B. J., A class of low gain broadband antennas, Proc. IRE Wescon Convention Rec., 251-259, 1958.