We have investigated elliptical annular ring microstrip antennas having a sine wave periphery both theoretically and experimentally. The proposed antenna gives a good circular polarization at the center frequency of 1.296 GHz, with measured 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth of about 0.73% (9.5 MHz) and impedance bandwidth of about 1.7% (22.0 MHz). Input and radiation characteristics are also examined for different sine wave amplitudes applied to the periphery of elliptical ring patch antenna.
2. Sharma, P. and K. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 6, 949-955, 1983.
3. Nasimuddin, K., P. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, "Wideband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007.
4. Kan, H. K. and R. B. Waterhouse, "Low cross-polarised patch antenna with single feed," IEEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 43, No. 5, 9-10, 2007.
5. Row, J.-S. and C.-Y. Ai, "Compact design of single-feed circularly polarised microstrip antenna," IEEE Electronic Letters, Vol. 40, No. 18, 1093-1094, 2004.
6. Bhattacharyya, A. K., "Theoretical and experimental investigation of the elliptical annular ring antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 11, 1526-1530, 1988.
7. Hong, W., C.-T. Cheng, Y.-D. Lin, and T. Kitazawa, A novel dual circularly polarized microstrip antenna, 36th European Microwave Conference, 1629-1632, 2006.
8. Gianvittorio, J. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas Propagation Mag., Vol. 44, 20-36, 2002.
9. Krishna, D. D., M. Gopikrishna, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "Compact wideband Koch fractal printed slot antenna," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 5, 782-789, 2009.
10. Chen, W.-L., G.-M. Wang, and C.-X. Zhang, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna with a fractal-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 2176-2179, 2009.